Thread: Transmission question

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    86 toyota van LE

Transmission question

So I was having a sputtering problem that was hard to diagnose. I noticed that my transmission dipstick was coming loose from the clip that normally holds it down. I bent the clip back in to hold it down, and since, it seems my sputtering stopped. The problem was intermittent, so I’m not sure if definitely was it or not. My question is: are our transmissions pressurized, and would that cause symptoms like sputtering if the “cap” is loose? Thanks…

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    86 Van LE

Re: Transmission question

Oh right! I have the sort of the same issue (it is always greasy around the dipstick), and I was planning to check it out as well. Your transmission is not really pressurized, but when it heats up, the air inside expands, I guess it creates pressure. the dipstick tube is below the oil level, so it would make sense oil will be pushed out.
    All of my previous cars had vents on top of the transmission/gearbox. I think the vent or the hose has clogged, I'll go look for it this weekend, if I spot it, i'll make a picture.

I used to have a suzuki vitara (sidekick in the US), where on a gearbox revision, the mechanic connected the vent hose to the AC drain. it took me years to figure out why every summer my gearbox was suddenly full of water.....

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    86 Van LE

Name:  transmission.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  99.7 KB
    I just saw someone on facebook offering a transmission with pictures. I think I see the vent hose

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

Yes, that is it. It connects to a a fitting on the side of the dipstick tube and if you are getting that much pressure in the transmission then it is very likely clogged.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    86 toyota van LE

so you think that that port being clogged would cause intermittent sputtering?

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

Can you describe what you mean by sputtering?