Thread: HeadGasket

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1993 Toyota Previa LE, 2WD, Auto

HeadGasket

My 1993 Previa needs either an Intake gasket or Head gasket. Is there an easy way to determine which? No oil in radiator, no water in crankcase. Large cloud of white smoke at exhaust, smell like antifreeze. Considering attempting repairs myself. Have the Previa Shop Manual, don't see if the Head can come off (via the opening under passenger seat) without dropping the engine? I would assume No? Thanks. Choz.

My Van(s):
    '94 LE dual sunroofs "Whistler" -AND- '97 DX SC Alltrac shredder rescue "Elmer"

Re: HeadGasket

search the forum. use the advanced search option:
    head-gasket-search.jpg

Last edited by pdgizwiz; 10-29-2015 at 09:10 AM.

My Van(s):
    95 Previa LE S/C

It is a difficult task for sure. Good luck!

My Van(s):
    92 previa

If thats all you want or need to do, its actually not impossible, although not too comfortable...being stooped over and or laying on your back all day/night! (Tim's got the right idea-pull it out!), But anyway, you will need to lower the engine using a jack. Lower it quite a bit by removing the left and right motor mounts completely and the right side transmission brace. And by all means dont forget to remove oil filter! That will give you the needed clearance to lower the engine enough. You will damage oil pump parts if you lower too much without first removing the filter. The crossmember under car is right below the oil filter. You'll be draining all you fluids first anyway. This lowering of the engine allows you the access you will need to reach up under the floorboard to remove the intake bolts..without bending or chopping up your floorboard. Getting to the intake bolts is the hardest part. You get the intake off and you got it! You'll need some offset wrenches for sure. Lowering the engine also allows the head to slip off and down as well as back up and onto the block. just ease it down..help is always good here since the head is heavy and you'll be in an awkward position (bent over-reaching in the access hole)...Again, using the SEARCH FEATURE cannot be stressed enough..Theres also a site on youtube that's awesome. The guy does it by the numbers. Follow it exactly and you can do it..that guy did it in a junk yard! He apparently could not lower engine so he bent up floorboard. I did mine in my driveway using his plan and it worked. Although he just shows how to unbolt it, there's more to it. Of course it looks easy, its actually quite challenging..use allot of JB Blaster! You'll need the FSM for sure..!
    Http://youtu.be/gE6AfC-lptg
    Last edited by tbkilb01; 04-03-2016 at 10:12 PM.