Thread: SADS diagnosis video

My Van(s):
    '94 LE dual sunroofs "Whistler" -AND- '97 DX SC Alltrac shredder rescue "Elmer"

SADS diagnosis video

I made this quick video of my failing SADS while I had the van up on ramps changing the oil today. I had to rotate the video so the orientation is odd. You'd see it this way if the van was laying on its side.

I'm twisting the shaft with one hand while I hold the camera with the other.

I'm not having any symptoms with this van yet. So not all the rubber bits have failed. I suppose that I'd have to rotate the shaft to inspect all the segments, but I spotted this one right away so now I know I need to plan a repair.

This van has 278k on it and there's no record of it having ever had its SADS replaced.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    '95 Toyota Previa Alltrac Green, '95 Toyota Previa Alltrac White

Re: SADS diagnosis video

Were you hearing any particular noise?

My Van(s):
    '94 LE dual sunroofs "Whistler" -AND- '97 DX SC Alltrac shredder rescue "Elmer"

No, I wasn't diagnosing a noise or vibration. I was just down there changing the oil filter and took a look at the SADS while I was in the neighborhood. I've suggested to others with symptoms of buggered SADS that they do this, but didn't have a visual to go with the idea. Now it's there.
    I bought this van from its original owners last fall. I'm not surprised that the SADS is failing after 20 years and all the miles.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1997 Previa. Vans owned in the past: 1993 Previa. 1993 Chevy Shorty, 1994 Ford Club Wagon Chateau, 1991 Previa

Thanks for the video. I'm surprised it does not make noise or vibrates, the rubber looks worn and there is some significant play. I guess mine should be in good shape since it's a 97 with 107K mile.