Thread: Aftermarket Previa Muffler and Catalytic Recommendations

My Van(s):
    Blue 88 Van LE 4WD 5MT @240k - - Blue 91 Previa DX AWD 5Spd @315k White 91 Previa LE AWD Auto@385k Blue 91 Previa DX AWD 5Spd @224k (parts van)

Aftermarket Previa Muffler and Catalytic Recommendations

Hi all! I have blocked exhaust on my 91 Manual Previa. Original exhaust made it to 330k miles!

Not sure if I should start by replacing the catalytic converter or just replace the entire assembly. In the past I have replaced the muffler in my 91 Automatic with a Bosal 284-285 , but those don't seem to be available anymore.

No problem for me to weld but just wondering if anyone has any experience with universal mufflers / cats and what brands / models worked for you?

Thanks for any info!

My Van(s):
    1991 Previa LE

Re: Aftermarket Previa Muffler and Catalytic Recommendations

I don't have any answers for you but I'll be following the thread too because I'm assuming I'll also want to know this in the future.

I replaced my cat assembly last year with a direct-fit I ordered off ebay from a seller called exhaustdepot.

s-l1600.jpg

I'm not sure exactly why they put two hanger rods on it going off in two directions (between the flexpipe and the cat) - the old one I took off only had one, and as far as I can see the body only has a spot for one. Is two hangers there a later model thing? Regardless, it seems to be performing OK.

No experience with universal cats. Found a bolt-on so that's the direction I went. If for whatever reason this one doesn't have much longevity to it, I'll probably also look at welding in a universal.

As far as mufflers go, since mine won't live forever, I have been curious to know what other people are using when they end up replacing them.
    The aftermarket muffler scene is so fixated on making cool loud noises. I'd really like something quiet. I wouldn't even mind if it was quieter than stock ... I just really don't care for the idea of being any louder.
    Let us know if you find something you like!

My Van(s):
    Blue 88 Van LE 4WD 5MT @240k - - Blue 91 Previa DX AWD 5Spd @315k White 91 Previa LE AWD Auto@385k Blue 91 Previa DX AWD 5Spd @224k (parts van)

Re: Aftermarket Previa Muffler and Catalytic Recommendations

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure my 33-year-old, 330k+ miles original exhaust has much "bolt-on" ability left, so there would likely be some cutting/grinding/welding to be done no matter what I try to install.

Good to know that your replacement cat from ebay is working out for you though. I'll see if I can find something similar, perhaps in the universal/weld-in variety to save a few bucks. I'll let you know what I end up with and how it works out for me.

Thanks again!