PDA

View Full Version : u-joints and driveshafts a match to US spec vans

gringo-gaucho
06-05-2024, 01:27 PM
Hi All,
Our 1996 liteace 4wd had a sticky front-front U joint. I used a Spicer 5-3202-x as the spicer joints seemed really preferred by the Tacoma guys. After cutting out the old joint with a an angle grinder (a hacksaw would also work, and might do a better job in the tight clearances), and then filing off the stakes(i used a chainsaw file), it was a simple matter of tapping the new joint in using a snug fitting socket. One concern with the spicer setup was that the snap rings didn't work. I don't anticipate any issues as the joint was very tight fitting, essentially a "pressed in" fit. The added insurance of a snap ring does help one sleep at night though.
Based on this experience, I'd say the extensive information in the US-spec thread can be trusted:

https://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/showthread.php?35-Drive-shafts-and-u-joints&highlight=u-joint

I did my best to center the joint by eye, as even a small discrepancy will cause a vibration. The shaft spins smooth. If I do another one I think Ill try the rockford part, sounds like the snap rings work on that one.