PDA

View Full Version : radiator leaks - confirmation, replacement, etc.

jbrush
03-13-2012, 02:39 PM
hi folks,

well, i'm moving forward on getting the rough running problem worked out, and now want to address an ongoing issue: coolant loss. since i got the vehicle it's been intermittently losing up to a gallon of coolant a day. i've been on top of refilling (with water), and don't think it's overheated.

my assumption is it's the radiator alone, based on the encrusted blue scuzz near the inlet and outlet -- see photos. does that picture look like a busted radiator to folks? i've looked in an initial way at the hoses etc., and there's no other obvious leaks.

my approach is to find a used radiator from a salvage yard and swap out. this is cheaper than recoring. i'll do a garden-hose pressure test, and hope for the best? any thoughts on this?

finally, this's a very simple question, but what's the radiator-like thing forward of the radiator itself? you can see it in the first photo "above" (behind) the radiator top. is this the heater core? just a bit confused by what at first blush looks like a "second radiator".

thanks!
.b

trestlehed
03-13-2012, 05:18 PM
If you are losing a gallon per day of coolant you should be able to see a major leak somewhere. Have you let the engine run and gone underneath with a flashlight?

If you plan on replacing the radiator, don't waste your time with a used junkyard one.
Also plan on replacing all of your coolant and heater hoses, and thermostat. Another thing to check is your "hose of death".
Do a search on this website as well as the one in the link below:

http://www.toyotavanpeople.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=7816&p=56468&hilit=4wd+custom+radiator#p56468

what's the radiator-like thing forward of the radiator itself?

That should be your a/c condensor.

jbrush
03-20-2012, 02:22 AM
If you are losing a gallon per day of coolant you should be able to see a major leak somewhere. Have you let the engine run and gone underneath with a flashlight?

ok, so here's the report: there was indeed a major leak in the radiator, near both the inlet and outlet ports.

i went ahead and replaced it with one from a salvage yard that i'd done a DIY pressure test on, and so far it's holding up OK with 50 miles or so of driving. there does appear to be a small leak at the drain cock. i tightened it pretty hard with some pliers, but i'm afraid of breaking the plastic parts. any experience with these plastic draincocks? (i know many would recommend to rebuild or buy new, but it feels hard to make that kind of $$ investment right now.)

That should be your a/c condensor.

thanks! totally makes sense.

be well,
.b

timsrv
03-20-2012, 02:48 AM
There's an o-ring on the drain cock shaft (God that sounds dirty :redface:). Yours is probably torn or scratched. Just unscrew it completely and change that o-ring. If you already have it full of antifreeze, then grab a spare from the salvage yard. Make sure the o-ring looks good 1st, then remove and replace fast before all the antifreeze leaks out :thmbup:.

jbrush
03-20-2012, 06:53 PM
ok, great thoughts on the draincock. will grab one next time i'm at the yard.

i've been running the engine hot to test the cooling system, and under pressure the inlet and outlet hoses leak a bit where they clamp to the radiator. the existing clamps are these self-tightening things you grab with pliers -- and they don't seem solid at all to me. so i've put real hose clamps on as well, and seems to be better -- but i want to remove the old clamps too, will wait till i drain the radiator.

i also found another leak under pressure: on the heater inlet hose where it's clamped to the filler neck. this screw-down clamp was even worse -- it used two wires that distorted and cut into the hose. geez. replaced with a hose clamp over the same rubber; seems to be working much better.

there still might be some other leaks in or near the radiator (i hope it's not in the radiator, of course). still finding drips underneath after some time at temp. might need to empty and check more in depth -- is there any problem draining it into a container and then refilling with the same (basically brand-new) fluid?

anyway, minor updates...

timsrv
03-20-2012, 10:21 PM
I save and re-use antifreeze all the time (as long as it's not due for replacement). Just drain it into a clean drip pan and pour it back in. When putting back in I use a funnel with a screen (just in case). Tim