PDA

View Full Version : Lowered front end torsion bar with KYB Gas-a-Just's...

pastadog
03-06-2012, 03:34 AM
I cranked the torsion bars a little on the front of my 86 cargo for a little more stability and looks. At the time I installed KYB Gas-a-justs on all four corners and crap it's a stiff ride. I don't believe I lowered it that much, it measures just about 25 inches from the ground to the bottom of my wheel well. My question to you is I loved the way the blown shocks rode...... It was like the front of the van floated when I hit bumps but now it's just super stiff and feel every little bump. Could it be the shocks given they are more of a performance/stiffer shock than the others? If so, anybody want to buy or trade for some newer front Kyb gas-a-justs?

Also, I have 195/70/14's I think and it's a 2wd window cargo.

Thanks,
Ronnie

timsrv
03-06-2012, 11:12 AM
When trying to "dial-in" anything it's important to only change 1 thing at a time. My guess is the shocks are to blame, but who knows. My advice would be to adjust the bars back to stock ride height and take it for a drive. After the drive check and if required adjust it again (things tend to settle immediately after adjustment). Here's a snap shot from the manual to help get the ride height back to normal.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a23/timsrv/TVT%20pics/suspension/rideheight.jpg

If the ride is still harsh after adjustment, then I'd blame the shocks. Good luck. Tim

Reducto
03-07-2012, 08:26 PM
I just put in Gas-A-Justs on all 4 corners and it is a somewhat firm ride, but not overly bumpy. I did not notice a big difference compared to the old ones other than the lack of bouncing after going over a bump.

Those are considered "performance" shocks so they won't be super smooth even after you put the ride height back. If you want a carlike ride you might look at the KYB twin tube shocks or even basic Monroe's. I'm sure you could find a buyer for those KYBs if you make the discount big enough :)

pastadog
03-08-2012, 03:07 AM
Thanks for the replies guys and it's good to still some active people on the TV boards......... Nobody's on TVP anymore :(

Anyways, well I think I'm definitely going to switch out the gas a just's for some good old' regulars in the front!

With that said....... Anybody want to buy or trade for my KYB Gas-a-Just's for the front on an 86 2wd? :)