PDA

View Full Version : Removing the Air Filter

pastadog
12-19-2010, 07:10 PM
Please can somebody do a write up..... As it would help me(NOOB) and many others down the road!

I have been able to pull it up to see I have a brand new paper filter in there but would like to replace that restrictive pile if there is any other solutions out there! Gas mileage is HORRIBLE! - However I did just install a Denso o2 sensor in two days ago, the old one I assume the old one was bad given it had become lodged and stuck in its hole having to be knocked into the exhaust and then removed from the cat. Guy at the exhaust shop says he has never seen that happen before! Also, as he was down there noticed that one of my exhaust bolts was snapped off in the head. Could that be effecting my mileage that much?

Thanks friends!:thmbup:

timsrv
12-19-2010, 07:36 PM
I don't believe the pleated paper filters are that restrictive. I know there are better flowing filters out there, but the 4y doesn't require that much air flow. I think you can get a K&N pleated that fits in the same box, but not sure what (if any) flow improvements there would be. Keep in mind, all air must go through the MAF anyhow and that's only going to allow so many CFM.

I do agree these vans have about the worst filter placement of any vehicle I've ever worked on and it's a PITA to replace elements. Due to that, it's one of those areas I only service at the recommended 30k mile intervals. Other than being a PITA to access and change, I don't view these as being a problem worthy of spending any time or money on.

Having the very back exhaust stud break off is very common on these vans. Another thing that's common is having your exhaust manifold crack on the #4 down tube. Here (http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/showthread.php?5-A-few-tricks-for-removing-broken-exhaust-studs) is a thread where I have addressed these issues. It's conceivable that exhaust leaks ahead of the o2 sensor can adversely affect gas mileage, but if you think about it, the concentrations of o2 at the sensor should be the same even if there is a leak.........unless it's severe. In which case it would be very loud and annoying to drive.

Having a bad o2 sensor is arguably the single highest cause for poor mpg's, so give it some time to see how the new sensor affects things. Also, if you haven't already done so, check the codes. Tim

timsrv
12-19-2010, 07:47 PM
Additional thoughts: Just because you looked in there and saw a clean filter doesn't mean much. Keep in mind if you're simply peeking in there you are viewing the "clean" side of the filter (the output side). It's the bottom side of the filter that gets ugly, so if you don't know the last time it was changed, then you'll need to "dive in" and get that thing out of there. As far as I know, there is no easy way to do it. I use a long screwdriver to undo the latches and to unhook the bottom parts when they hang-up as you try to remove. If your air hose is old and brittle, chances are it will crack during the process (so have a spare on hand). I wish I had a better way, but cursing and knuckle busting is the only way I know :pissed:. Tim

llamavan
12-19-2010, 07:55 PM
The easiest way to change the air filter is to get a 3Y van. Still a bit of a PITA, but it blows me away just how much more difficult the 4Y is with all that electronic timing "stuff" on top of the airbox lid.

Seriously, the best tips I can give are (1) allow an hour or more for the project, because if you're in a time crunch and try to hurry, it WILL end up taking you an hour :yikes: and (2) use a K&N filter so you don't have to choose between getting in there more often or possibly kissing off a bit of mpg. Exactly how to best access the filter box clips (and keep them from flopping down and in the way during reinstallation) depends on the size of your arms and hands, and raw finger/grip strength, and quirks of that van's airbox clips. In my experience, there just is no single good way. :dizzy:

I consistently see 1-2 mpg improvement from a new air filter (K&N replacing old paper filter) along with a slight but discernible increase in power, and +/- 2 mpg improvement from a new O2 sensor. FWIW.

Gwen

pastadog
12-20-2010, 11:44 AM
Wow, outstanding response time from Tim and Gwen :clap:!!!

Just to clear it up I do have the O so hated 3y in the beast I call my van. I was basically just wondering what process you guys went through like, take off air hose then unscrew map sensor or pull out your samurai sword and start slashing :rol:. Everytime I try to start all I end wanting to do is start punching myself in the face or just yank out the stick holding the engine lid up while under it! :yes::no:

Anyways, so with that new o2 sensor in, what should and when should I expect it to start showing it's rewards? Will it hand me a trophy because I wouldn't be surprised if it did due to me finding new cool things about this van almost EVERY day! :lol:

Let's keep these vans alive and the way to do that is KEEP this site up and running! How can I donate some cash, it might only be a little bit because it is the holiday season but I would love to help out!

Thanks friends! Over and out.... Pssht :thmbup:

timsrv
12-20-2010, 12:52 PM
No Samurai swords, just cursing and thrashing around in there for a while. It would probably be easier to do with the intake tube off, but getting that off is a PITA too. So I always just try to be patient, unhook all the latches, then carefully lift while constantly rechecking the latches. Once it's open I usually have a block of wood or something to jam in there to hold things in place long enough to pull the old filter out and put the new one in.

After that it's just the reverse of what you did to open, but now you need to check the little hook parts of the latches one at a time to make sure they are not getting stuck between the 2 halves. BTW, I've never done one on a 3y, I've only done the dreaded 4y's, so consider yourself lucky. Tim

PS: There is a PayPal link to donate at the bottom of every page and a nice big one with Visa / MasterCard logos in the middle right of the library page. Every little bit helps, so thanks in advance for any contributions. FWIW, we've pre-paid for hosting and domain stuff for 3 years and we plan on being around for a very long time. Tim

Dogfish
12-20-2010, 01:17 PM
...It would probably be easier to do with the intake tube off, but getting that off is a PITA too...Tim
I've done them both ways, but I prefer pulling the intake now. I have all my rubber and plastic pretty well conditioned with CRC Silicon spray now, though. I keep a can in my toolbox and spray everything I see when I'm under the hood. I even sprayed the under dash duct-work inside and out. When I get a "new" van and encounter the hoses that won't budge, I lift the edge with a 90 degree pic and hit it with silicon, wait a minute and move the pic around and repeat as necessary. I can even get lines off the nylon/plastic fittings without breaking anything.
-Jim

pastadog
12-20-2010, 02:17 PM
After that it's just the reverse of what you did to open, but now you need to check the little hook parts of the latches one at a time to make sure they are not getting stuck between the 2 halves. BTW, I've never done one on a 3y, I've only done the dreaded 4y's, so consider yourself lucky. Tim

I believe mine 3y is the same as your 4y..... from what I have seen in the junkyards at least.. :cnfsd:

IronhideVA
12-20-2010, 03:06 PM
The easiest way to change the air filter is to get a 3Y van. Still a bit of a PITA, but it blows me away just how much more difficult the 4Y is with all that electronic timing "stuff" on top of the airbox lid.

Seriously, the best tips I can give are (1) allow an hour or more for the project, because if you're in a time crunch and try to hurry, it WILL end up taking you an hour :yikes: and (2) use a K&N filter so you don't have to choose between getting in there more often or possibly kissing off a bit of mpg. Exactly how to best access the filter box clips (and keep them from flopping down and in the way during reinstallation) depends on the size of your arms and hands, and raw finger/grip strength, and quirks of that van's airbox clips. In my experience, there just is no single good way. :dizzy:

I consistently see 1-2 mpg improvement from a new air filter (K&N replacing old paper filter) along with a slight but discernible increase in power, and +/- 2 mpg improvement from a new O2 sensor. FWIW.

Gwen

I hear what you say about an hours time! I installed a new filter awhile back and had to remove all the wires and such, afterwards I had no noticable improvements mpg wise and i was lacking horsepower and response. I discovered a previous owner had snipped the O2 wire and when i had a new exhaust put on also discovered the catalytic converter was 80% clogged.:rol: Now with new filter,O2, and exhaust i have my mpgs and hps back!

pastadog
12-20-2010, 04:03 PM
What filter are you running?

IronhideVA
12-20-2010, 04:32 PM
went with a purolator from the auto parts store to keep the price down.
bought earlier this year:
air filter
fuel filter
pcv valve
spark plugs
spark plug wires
distributor cap & rotor
brake rotors
brake pads
shocks
wheel cylinders
rear brake shoes
R12 to R134A kit for A/C
radiator hoses
etc....the list goes on.

pastadog
12-20-2010, 06:05 PM
Puralator? Sounds intense :rol:.... I think i'm gonna go with the ever so popular K&N.. :lol:

llamavan
12-20-2010, 06:58 PM
Just to clear it up I do have the O so hated 3y in the beast I call my van. I was basically just wondering what process you guys went through like, take off air hose then unscrew map sensor or pull out your samurai sword and start slashing :rol:.

No hatred of 3Y vans here — that's the bulk of my runners AND parts vans. Love 'em. :yes: :dance1: :clap: :thmbup:

I remove the air hose. If the air filter truly needs changing, it's a really good time to clean the throttle body anyway, which in turn will also improve mpg to some extent (how much depends on how bad it was when it was cleaned, but can be as much as 2 mpg). I don't remove anything else but the clips; with patience, there's just enough clearance to get the old out and the new in.

Anyways, so with that new o2 sensor in, what should and when should I expect it to start showing it's rewards? Will it hand me a trophy because I wouldn't be surprised if it did due to me finding new cool things about this van almost EVERY day! :lol:

I've not found a lag time — improvement will be on the next tank of gas (I keep pretty tight records on mine). The trophy for paying attention to your vans' needs is that your van will treat you very well, endeavoring (and usually succeeding) to break down only in your driveway and not in the middle of nowhere. :wnk: That having been said, ANY used van is going to be a money pit for awhile. Between lack of know-how and a preference to spend money on "fun things" instead, people who aren't head-over-heels nuts about the vans rarely keep them up; that's even more true of vehicles they're planning to sell, when any and all maintenance is seen as less money now with no return (in money or driving time) later.

Gwen

pastadog
12-20-2010, 10:44 PM
I remove the air hose. If the air filter truly needs changing, it's a really good time to clean the throttle body anyway, which in turn will also improve mpg to some extent (how much depends on how bad it was when it was cleaned, but can be as much as 2 mpg). I don't remove anything else but the clips; with patience, there's just enough clearance to get the old out and the new in.

Gwen
Good idea on cleaning the throttle body and air hose! Thanks!

IronhideVA
12-24-2010, 09:01 AM
Good idea on cleaning the throttle body and air hose! Thanks!

Great, im glad im not the only one who did this, one more check off the list!

pastadog
12-24-2010, 11:57 AM
Great, im glad im not the only one who did this, one more check off the list!
So what cleaner did you fellas use to clean the throttle body and hose? :)

timsrv
12-26-2010, 07:18 PM
IMO any cleaners made for this purpose are okay. I don't have any brand loyalties, I just usually grab whatever's on sale. Just make sure it's for throttle bodies or carburetors and you should be fine. Tim

pastadog
12-26-2010, 07:35 PM
Sweet! Thanks Tim

User1
02-23-2012, 08:57 PM
Hello guys,

OK first of all I know my dignity is shot to hell asking this question :cry: I'll work on that this spring and summer! I checked to see if there was anything in the 1,000 page pdf manual for my van, and all they had was about half a page dedicated to the air filter. They act like this is as ez as taking it off a 80s Corolla. lol There was NOTHING on getting this thing off and replaced! Blow compressed air or just replace air filter. That was it!

I'm having problems getting that silver thing off in the pic. I managed to get that duct off, thinking I could fake the rest, but aint happening. Any tips on how to get thing off and replaced?

At this point I'll go the extra steps to make sure things are in good working order. I'll work at getting things cleaned up too.

Thanks for any and all help in this matter.

llamavan
02-23-2012, 09:17 PM
Don't bother with "the silver thing" — you don't need to remove it.

Air filter box only needs to be opened enough to slide the filter out (although you do need to remove the air intake hose, as you have already done). There are four clips on the lid (well, four from stock — they have a habit of being lost or removed). Unclip. Squirrel the lid up. Scoot the old filter out and work the new one in. Be sure it is seated properly (hard to do 'cuz ya can't see). Put the lid back on. Put the clips back on (they have a habit of preventing you from seating the lid, too). Sounds fast. ISN'T!!! Allow an hour, no kidding! Easier on a 3Y van, FWIW. Also easier if you have super-skinny hands and strong skinny fingers.

If you weren't considering a K&N "lifetime" filter before, you sure will be now. Guess what my vans have. :yes:

Gwen

PS — no dignity problems or judgments from me — the only stupid question is the one that should have been asked and wasn't.

timsrv
02-23-2012, 10:56 PM
Yeah, I've been working on these vans forever, and I still cuss like a sailor every time I change an air filter :(: . My hands and fingers are big so I usually use a long slot-tip screwdriver to get in there to unlatch the clips. Then I lightly lift on the front and use the screwdriver to pull the hanging hook part of the front clips away from the lower housing. Once the fronts are clear I hold it high enough to prevent accidental re-clipping of the fronts, then get the backs. If your air tube isn't old and hard, you should be able to tweak things enough to drag the filter out from the front. If your air tube is old and hard, then it'll probably crack and you'll need to get a new one. I don't know what hell Toyota was thinking when they stuffed that filter down there but somebody sure had their head up their rear end. Don't worry about your dignity (it cracks me up though) because at one point or another I'm sure all of us have determined changing air filters to be impossible on these things. Tim

PS: After putting the new filter in, before latching ANY of the clips, use a flashlight and a long screwdriver to make sure none of the hanging clips ended up pinched between the upper and lower filter housings. Only then should you latch them. I usually use the screwdriver to latch 3 of the 4 clips.

User1
02-24-2012, 12:11 AM
Thanks for the quick replies!

Good to know I wasn't out in "left field" on this one! Looks like I'm going to get a mirror and light to see what I'm dealing with. I really couldn't see the two outside clips. I uncliped the two inside ones. I assume I'm dealing with 4 clips? What exactly will I gain by unfastening the two nuts from the bottom of the filter? I'm thinking nothing much?

The K&N filters sound VERY appealing and will look into them. Any connections are welcomed. I thought my Fram filter that said "12000 miles between tuneups" sounded sweet! Not now!

Yeah I don't what Toyota was thinking on this one, and really, not a word on the manual.

timsrv
02-24-2012, 03:50 AM
There's 4 clips (at least there were originally). The clips are the only things you need to undo (no nuts). Like llama said, removing the air tube helps, but isn't necessary. The rest is just determination and anger motivation. For me, things like this only get done when I develop a certain degree of anger :swear:. When I get into that mode things get done quickly............but I also tend to bleed (or at least feel the results for a few minutes afterwards) :cry: .

eddieleephd
02-25-2012, 08:47 AM
I do find removing the air tube a pain but useful.
It is hard to get out and such, but you can take the wires connected loose fairly easily.
This gives you an easier ability to seat the filter easier and without any damage while putting it in.

The hardest part if you remove the Air tube is removing the air tube...

This will allow you to see how dirty the box is and the ability to clean it if necessary..
I do recommend doing this the first time anyhow beings you have not looked in there before and do not know a thing about it.

ARP
02-25-2012, 06:20 PM
If it runs rough after you are done either you cracked the air tube or one of the many vacuum hose connections in the vicinity has slipped off

User1
02-25-2012, 06:44 PM
Running good! Feels like I'm finally making some progress on this!

I wanted to respond on a couple of things above;
The nuts I was referring to were these two. This is from looking up from the bottom. The nuts are on the inside of the air box.

But then you have a nut on the outside of the box;

So I just went with provided advice and got everything squared away. The forth and final clip I had to deal with was rather interesting. Pic is below.

I never did get this one fastened and will just find a replacement C clip that I can rig on the front outside corner. I managed to get the air tubes reconnected with a lite layer of lite lub on the mating surfaces of the tube. Everything went on easy with this and should be easy to disconnect too, but will see.

Thanks all! :dance2:

mons
06-06-2014, 12:59 PM
Hey y'all! I was just looking at the air filter for the first time and as I was trying to get it back in, there was a rubber seal that doesn't seem to fit around anything. I can't figure out exactly where it came from and I am worried about not putting it back in the right spot. It looks like it should go around the edge of the filter, but like I said, it is too big and won't fit right. Any thoughts?

timsrv
06-06-2014, 02:39 PM
The only seal in this area is what comes formed into the filter. If you found something left over from before, it's likely off the old filter & I'd consider it junk. Tim

PNW vanwagon
04-13-2017, 12:27 AM
thought i'd pass along some potentially good info that will probably save you at least some time and effort changing air filter. first time replacing air filter today and quickly understood why everyone says it's a pain. the clips get hung up getting the lid open, and hung up on the old filter and new filter and getting it back together. looking around my shop for help i grabbed two small mini bungees and hooked them over the clips (part that hooks down under lid) this kept the clips up and out of the way and i could concentrate on getting the box open and filters swapped out.

still had to remove the air intake hose to get enough room. and the process is still a pain but getting the clips out of the way up front really helps.

*additional tip* mini bungees need not be tight just enough to keep the clip hooks up out of the way. if the bungees are too loose - tie a knot or two into them and it'll be the right length

also my wife has a thin wood dowel with a hook at the end to pull down our window blinds - this wood dowel was great at getting at the far right rear clip - releasing the clip / hooking the bungee / releasing bungee and re-clipping

BetsyBrown
10-05-2017, 07:14 PM
wow.. this really kicked my butt!

couple things I learned.

1.Remove the air hose if you can! I tried doing this without removing and it was impossible... for me at least. DO NOT recommend. Mine was very stuck to the metal bits, but then I just rode around all day, got it nice and hot and pop! No problem getting both sides off and back on. I just removed the side closer to filter though.

2. If you can swing it, BUY a K+N filter. Part is 33-2009 and cost me $60 at autozone. ya pricey, but if it keeps me from messing with the filter for a couple years... YES PLEASE. Also the K+N has a very low profile, so very easy to slip in. The one in there was double the height and a pain in the ass to get out.

3. The hooks did snag on the back, i just overbent it a nudge and it stuck in place long enough to get to the filter in.

4. find a friend with long skinny hands for the back clips... or a deft flathead screwdriver. they are a little goofy

now if i can just get the darn windows to roll on the way down...:rol:

Hope this helps!!

Burntboot
10-11-2017, 09:47 AM
User1 - those nuts you were looking at actually hold the base of the housing to the frame, taking them out would only have made your task harder.
And for what its worth the 2 nuts on the bracket attach to rubber mounts that love to separate when you try to remove them.
Those little rubber isolated mounts are NLA, so all the more reason to leave them alone

SamVan86
10-21-2018, 04:48 PM
Hey everybody,

I just went through the painful process of changing my Toyota Van 86 air filter, after I succeeded and drove the van normally, I noticed that the engine won't work as before, in low idle, the engine just dies... any help would be great of what might have one wrong :cnfsd:

llamavan
10-21-2018, 05:16 PM
SamVan — check to make sure the small pipe under the large "air cleaner hose" is properly connected, and if that's OK, then check the large "air cleaner hose" for cracks. You can check for cracks by starting up the van and squeezing that big corrugated hose (gently — don't crack it in the process!). If the rough idle happens in response to squeezing the hose, you've found your problem.

Gwen

SamVan86
10-21-2018, 05:34 PM
SamVan — check to make sure the small pipe under the large "air cleaner hose" is properly connected, and if that's OK, then check the large "air cleaner hose" for cracks. You can check for cracks by starting up the van and squeezing that big corrugated hose (gently — don't crack it in the process!). If the rough idle happens in response to squeezing the hose, you've found your problem.

Gwen

Thanks a lot Gwen, I will do that tomorrow and come back with the results, I remembered connecting that small pipe, but will check, I will look for cracks in the air cleaner hose!

llamavan
10-23-2018, 07:25 PM
Finally located Tim's photo:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a23/timsrv/IntakeHoseCrack.jpg

Although it may not be YOUR van's problem, it's so common that it's worth checking, and worth the repost in this thread.

Gwen

SamVan86
10-24-2018, 07:51 AM
Gwen thanks this was great, so I checked on the air cleaner hose, was ok, but I saw one of the small Vacuum hose is disconnected, that is probably the problem, right :)? Any idea where I connect it?

SamVan86
10-24-2018, 08:00 AM
Two hoses connected, and this one is loose, but don't see anywhere where to connect it :dizzy:

timsrv
10-24-2018, 10:31 AM
That goes to the charcoal canister down below. Here's a thread with a vacuum hose diagram: https://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/showthread.php?1582-What-does-a-particular-VSV-do-See-excellent-attached-diagram

SamVan86
10-24-2018, 10:58 AM
That goes to the charcoal canister down below. Here's a thread with a vacuum hose diagram: https://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/showthread.php?1582-What-does-a-particular-VSV-do-See-excellent-attached-diagram

Tim, thanks so much, we are in Colombia right now, and mechanics here never saw this kind of van... We are on our trip Alaska Argentina, and this has been our first issue so far!

The engine use to work like a Swiss watch, but immediately after the air filter was changed we got problems.

Do you think that this disconnected hose form the charcoal canister could be the source of our problem, since the air filter was changed, van has shown this issues, and it is getting worse with time:

1. the truck hiccups at low rotations
2. the idle got a rough sound
3. the engine has lost power,the throttle does not respond when accelerated, does not manage any hill up
4. it is consuming a lot of gas
5. smell of fuel

Also, from my pic where can I find the canister?

It is a Van 1986, manual shift.

Should I be looking for other things as well after connecting the hose?

Thanks guys for your help!

llamavan
10-24-2018, 01:08 PM
"Smell of gas" should always get your attention.

Having said that, please search the forum first (https://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/showthread.php?5323-Searching-TVT-successfully-and-posting-new-threads) for answers to that and to your other questions. (HINT — try the tag "gas smell"!) If you cannot find the answers, post your questions in similar threads, or (only if no similar issues), start new ones.

You'll always find the answers faster by searching on your own (when the answers are there; mostly they are) than by waiting around for someone who has the knowledge to choose to use their lunch or break time to help you instead of doing something else they oughta do!

Gwen

armorrell
11-17-2018, 06:24 PM
So I saw in the thread a mention of cleaning the Throttle-Body while refreshing the air filter. I'll be doing this project soon and plan to create another short film about the process. So, It'd be cool to include the throttle-body cleaning in the vid.

That leads to this query, is there any more advice or comments I should cover about the TB specifically? Any more details to include?
Also, Is there anything associated with the TB that's especially fragile or prone to cause problems when it's cleaned or handled?

I'll be researching in my manuals tonight as well and Pre-Thanks for any thoughts you folks would like to share.

spacecruisers
11-21-2018, 06:57 PM
Tim has a really good write up on cleaning the throttle body here (http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/content.php?231-Cleaning-the-Throttle-Body)

All the photo links are broken thanks to PhotoBucket, but if you use Google Chrome browser, there is a Chrome extension called "Photobucket Hotlink Fix (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg)" that should get them to show up again.

timsrv
11-21-2018, 10:05 PM
Tim has a really good write up on cleaning the throttle body here (http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/content.php?231-Cleaning-the-Throttle-Body)

All the photo links are broken thanks to PhotoBucket, but if you use Google Chrome browser, there is a Chrome extension called "Photobucket Hotlink Fix (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg)" that should get them to show up again.

I just checked that article and all pics work for me. The end video was disabled, so I updated it with a youtube video. If you or anybody else have a problem viewing the video or the pics, please let me know and I'll look into it farther. Thanks. Tim

Javier
10-28-2019, 08:50 PM
Does anyone have an air intake I'm thinking about purchasing one any thoughts?

JPERL
10-30-2019, 09:24 AM
IMHO installing an after-market intake is not worth the hassle living in so california with strict emission standards for passing. I cannot see any real measurable benefit modifying the stock intake as a trade off for having a vehicle that may not pass smog.. At the end of the day this is till an engine with peak 101hp at 5400 RPM practically at the redline.

On another note what many don't realize the reason it is getting harder to pass smog in California is that every two years the goal posts for passing emissions is lowered so if you passed by the seat of your pants in 2017 you will fail in 2019 even if the emissions output did not change and with all the liberal tree hugging green new deal blah blah in California you can bet nothing would make the libs happier than to see our vans be decommissioned because they use evil fossil fuels and we will all die in 12 years from climate change, LOL

89van
09-24-2021, 01:00 AM
Jeez, you guys were NOT kidding when you said the air filter was a P.I.T.A. Considering it was also my first time doing the air filter on any of vehicle, it took me a total of 2 days to do it, and a visit to AutoZone so I could get a mini-ratchet to reach the right screw on the igniter assy. since my ratchet set was too big! :dizzy: Taking off the air intake hose was the only way I could do it properly to clear the air box just enough to slip the old one out and the new one in. Fairly straight forward but jeez, who had the bright idea of putting the igniter assy. ontop of the airbox? Well atleast I got it done, regardless of the complaints... :dance2: When I do it again, I'll grab a K&N filter and do it much quicker next time! :silvervan:

originalkwyjibo
09-27-2021, 01:25 AM
Don't bother with the K&N, they don't fit right. I put one in mine several years ago but when I changed the airflow meter I found a lot of dirt on the wrong side of the filter housing. After some investigating I found that the filter frame is just undersized enough to not be sufficiently clamped between the two halves of the air cleaner housing. With the soft pliable rubber design of the K&N frame it allowed the filter to pull away on the ends(Presumably under high load/vacuum conditions)allowing unfiltered air to flow around the filter. I even went to the parts store to look at a new K&N thinking maybe I got a flawed part and the new one was the same size. Later I checked it on a neighbors Toyota truck since they called for the same part number and it fit the truck housing just as poorly so I wouldn't recommend using them in those either. I'm pretty sure I have some pics on an old phone or camera from when I pulled it. I'll post them if I find them.

89van
09-27-2021, 09:32 PM
Huh, well good to know in advance that a K&N filter won't fit. Thanks for that little bit of info, originalkwyjibo. :thmbup: