PDA

View Full Version : Front Windsheild replacement.

KenVan
06-16-2011, 08:35 PM
Does anyone know how hard would it be to find a replacement windshield? My TV develope a crack about a foot long. Do you think its possible to do your own replacement?

Thanks.

djshimon
06-16-2011, 09:51 PM
it tells you how to do it in the manual. It looks like a lot of labor in removing the sticky seal and a new windshield is probably over a 100$. I thought about attempting it but ended up paying 200$ at a local glass place in portland-speedy glass I think. The first windshield they received was the wrong one so that took a day. The next day they put the right one in in less than 4 hours. It works great!

KenVan
06-16-2011, 11:13 PM
$200!? that's not bad I thought it would be somewhere near $400 for our hard to find windshields considering how old our vans are.

Does speedy glass also fix up rust spots as well or just does glass?

Its odd that my crack started where the frame of the van is rusty.

Where does Speedy Glass get their windshields? From the dealer?

djshimon
06-17-2011, 12:48 AM
yeah i thought it was cheap too. they quoted 225 or 250 i think but asked if i wanted to try and re-use the old windshield because it was not cracked. i said no and i think the labor they saved not re-using the old one(probably breaking it with a sledge to get it out quick?) may have saved me a few bucks.
my windshield was leaking because of the rust too. i asked if they could fix it and they kinda skirted around the question and said if i really wanted it done well, to go to an autobody=lots of money. it hasn't leaked like it was before(dripping on the steering wheel) but down the road i'll definitely be doing some serious repair around the windshield area.
if you have time to do the rust repair yourself you'll save serious money-i've heard 800-1000$ at the auto body shops. maybe it's cheaper, i don't know. i'd probably pay them to set the windshield back in though because that may be a job for a pro.
i don't know where they get their glass, it was shipped from washington somewhere. doubt it's toyota

KenVan
06-17-2011, 04:34 PM
Thanks djshimon. This is good information. Do you think its possible to ever have a shortage of windshields at all?

jaders
06-17-2011, 10:07 PM
yeah i thought it was cheap too. they quoted 225 or 250 i think but asked if i wanted to try and re-use the old windshield because it was not cracked. i said no and i think the labor they saved not re-using the old one(probably breaking it with a sledge to get it out quick?) may have saved me a few bucks.
my windshield was leaking because of the rust too. i asked if they could fix it and they kinda skirted around the question and said if i really wanted it done well, to go to an autobody=lots of money. it hasn't leaked like it was before(dripping on the steering wheel) but down the road i'll definitely be doing some serious repair around the windshield area.
if you have time to do the rust repair yourself you'll save serious money-i've heard 800-1000$ at the auto body shops. maybe it's cheaper, i don't know. i'd probably pay them to set the windshield back in though because that may be a job for a pro.
i don't know where they get their glass, it was shipped from washington somewhere. doubt it's toyota

I had all the rust around my windshield repaired last year by an auto body shop and it did run around $1000. I'm not exactly sure, since I had several other items done, too and the total bill was 2100...ouch! Got a new windshield out of it, tho as they told me they broke the old one taking it out. It already wasn't the original toyota windshield anyway. Here's a few pics they took...

djshimon
06-17-2011, 11:26 PM
i don't know about a glass shortage. kinda doubt it, maybe yes? maybe no? anyone?

timsrv
06-18-2011, 01:23 AM
As long as enough people keep buying them they'll keep making them. At some point (when sales fall below a certain number) they will probably make one last batch and call it quits. I guess it could happen any time, but I suspect these will be available for some time yet :thmbup:. Tim

Burntboot
06-20-2011, 01:57 PM
I checked with my dealer last month on this very item but he tells me they are NLS from Toyota.
Aftermarket seems to be the only option at this point.

timsrv
06-21-2011, 12:54 AM
I checked with my dealer last month on this very item but he tells me they are NLS from Toyota.
Aftermarket seems to be the only option at this point.

Yeah, I think it's been this way for several years. But IMO it's no great loss..........who can afford a genuine Toyota windshield anyhow???

trestlehed
06-22-2011, 05:53 PM
My windshield rust wasn't as bad as Jader's. They were able to re-use my existing winshield.
The rust repair with new paint and the cost of the glass guy removing and re-installing the windshield... all was a bit over $600.