PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering Leak

mahleek87
02-08-2011, 08:46 AM
Quick question. There is a leak where the top PW steering hose connects to the PWR steering motor. Is there an o-ring that needs to be replaced under those two/three bolts?

timsrv
02-08-2011, 02:45 PM
The pump could be leaking from a few spots, but the most common spot is this easy to replace o-ring at the top of the pump (where the supply line goes in). It's just 2 screws and you're there. You could just go down to the local hardware store and match-up your garden variety o-ring, but you'd be taking a chance it may not be compatible with the PS fluid (which by the way is just Dextron ATF). I've actually used water faucet o-rings in my PS pump and so far they're holding :lol:. To play it safe, you could go to Rock Auto (http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/catalog.php) and purchase a Power Steering Pump Seal Kit. EDELMANN Part # 8598 will work and it sells for about $20. It comes with the correct o-ring along with the other PS pump seals. Here's a picture showing you the most common leak point. Good luck. Tim

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a23/timsrv/whatever/IMG_8786.jpg

PS: Be sure to put some plastic or something over your alternator before pulling that line.

NEC
02-15-2011, 11:06 PM
that o-ring is also available from any toyota dealer for around $3 if you don't want the whole rebuild kit. It would probably have to be ordered though.

mahleek87
02-20-2011, 06:52 PM
I replaced that O-Ring. Getting that top to come off was a little tricky and to put back on but anyways where else do these leak from? I have suspect my pump to still be leaking somewhere from underneath but am not 100% sure.

timsrv
02-20-2011, 09:36 PM
I suppose it could leak from any of the seals, but the other common spot I've found is the o-ring that seals the flow control port on the engine side of the pump. It's too tight to access with the pump installed, so the entire thing will need to come off before you can change it. Since it's tight quarters here, it's even hard to verify a leak from this port with the pump installed. If the fluid is leaking down the engine side of the pump and then dripping on the alternator, it's a pretty safe bet that this is the spot it's leaking from. Once the pump is off you'll need a small set of snap-ring pliers and a small screwdriver. Slightly depress the flow control valve cap with the screwdriver (to relieve pressure against the snap-ring), then remove it using the snap ring pliers. The cap has a spring pushing against it and it's easy to lose parts if the spring launches the cap. The o-ring goes in the groove that runs the periphery of the cap. Here's an illustration. Tim

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a23/timsrv/TVT%20pics/suspension/pspump.jpg

BTW, the o-ring on the suction port (previous post) is Toyota Part #96711-19013. The o-ring on the flow control port cap (this post) is part #96711-19014.

Here's a couple other power steering related threads:
https://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/showthread.php?214-Power-steering-system-noise
https://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/showthread.php?451-Power-steering-using-alot-of-fluid!

momentum
03-08-2011, 03:55 PM
After removing my alternator, which is clearly covered in ATF fluid, I am trying to determine where the leak is coming from? Using Tim's picture from above as a reference, it appears that the leak originates at the seam, just to the right of the two bolts. Does this make sense as a place for the leak?

timsrv
03-08-2011, 11:10 PM
A leak from anywhere is possible, I was just pointing out the only 2 places I've seen leaks from. If you find another spot that leaks, please take some pics and post them. This will help the next guy identify his problems. Thanks for your contributions to the forum. Tim

PS: If you can't be sure where it's leaking from, you might think about getting that seal kit I talked about earlier and change all the seals, o-rings, and gaskets. Good luck.

mahleek87
10-26-2012, 07:32 PM
New power steering pump leak and its not coming from the Oring Tim has pictured above. Probably because I replaced that not too long ago. Is there a gasket inbetween these 2-3 bolts?

Check the picture I have attached. Dont know how to make it bigger, hope you can see it.

mahleek87
03-06-2013, 07:32 PM
Back in november when my power steering pump was leaking, I purchased the seal kit and with a mechanic we took apart the whole PS pump and replaced all the seals. From where it is leaking in the picture, that leak stopped but it was still leaking from underneath.

Tonight my alternator passed away. 5 months later. due to the continued leak. I had even placed a few pieces of cardboard underneath to prevent it but.

Moral of the story, If your ps pump is leaking internally and not from the top, In my opinion I would probably just purchase a refurbished one. We tried to rebuild it with the seal kit but it didnt turn out well because it was still leaking.

timsrv
03-06-2013, 08:04 PM
Sorry to hear about that. I personally have never had a pump I couldn't seal, but I know it's probably just a matter of time. The only other leak I had (other than the 2 I talked about earlier) was odd..........probably a fluke). If you look at the picture below you can see a spot that looks like somebody drilled a hole and jammed a ball bearing in it. Anyhow, I had a leak from this spot and when I looked close it appeared the ball bearing had fallen out. I ended up tapping the hole & stuck a machine screw in it. I put a little Teflon tape on the threads & never had another problem.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a23/timsrv/TVT%20pics/suspension/powersteeringpump-1_zps8ea545f6.jpg

mahleek87
03-06-2013, 10:58 PM
You know Tim now that I think about it, it might be leaking from there. I will try to look and check it again tomorrow but I guess the only way you can confirm is by pulling the whole pump and inspecting it.

Other then that can you recommend a refurbished brand? Or does Toyota even sell these new?

momentum
03-06-2013, 11:31 PM
I am finally at the point where I need to replace my faulty PS pump.:pissed: I have attached a picture and circled where I believe the leak to be. (the middle section, if looking at the exploded view of PS pump above)

Would this be a worthy candidate for a new, Power Steering Pump replacement or a cheap but time consuming Power Steering Pump Seal Kit?

Regardless, I will probably follow this link http://www.toyotavanpeople.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4413 however, I plan to remove alternator prior to PS surgery.

Any thoughts?

timsrv
03-07-2013, 12:55 AM
I'm not sure if this is still available through Toyota or not, but the current MSRP is $441.73...........IMO this means "unavailable" (who in their right mind would pay that much?). The last "rebuilt" one I purchased was off of www.rockauto.com. I purchased their cheapest one for around $60 (A-1 Cardone I believe). Their more expensive rebuilds may be okay, but I don't believe the one I got was actually rebuilt. It was painted pretty and looked nice, but it started leaking right after I installed it. It ended up having a leaky o'ring on the flow control port (as shown above). When I took it apart that o-ring was badly worn and brittle (crumbled in my hands as I removed it). Omicronmike (member here) had a similar experience with an inexpensive rebuild. If I were to get another rebuilt one, I'd probably spring a little more $$$ and try one in the medium price range. If I were strapped for cash, I'd probably opt for changing seals/gaskets in a used pump. Tim

mahleek87
03-08-2013, 06:35 AM
Has any one come up with some fancy ideas to protect their alternator from the power steering pump?

mahleek87
03-15-2013, 06:06 PM
Hey Tim do you remember the size of the bolt you used for the power steering. Pump?

timsrv
03-15-2013, 06:58 PM
It was either a 10-32 or 10-24 machine screw that I cut to about 3/16" long. I think I had to drill it just slightly for the correct diameter, then I used a bottoming tap.

kingston250
03-27-2013, 02:00 AM
Nice tips and useful for me. I am also face this problem one time and then i am repair steering leaking from workshop because i have no idea that time how i can fix but now this post help me to solve this problem.thanks

mahleek87
03-28-2013, 08:45 PM
So my mechanic decided to weld the bottom instead of sticking a screw in there. It is still leaking now after installed but less then it was before. For some reasons the steering has become jerky and rough since this job and I was wondering if that hole is necessary for the pump to work right? Who knows, but maybe it is my actual power steering resevior that is clogged up and needs to be cleaned out since it has never been done. But it wasnt this bad before.

mahleek87
09-25-2013, 09:17 AM

So its been almost two weeks since I installed this new/reman pump from BBB industries and I'm proud to say it is not leaking.

This can be a viable option for those who want to replace their pumps with a good one. I spent the extra $20-$30 and got this one because of all the issues I had with my other one.

With my other one we started of buying a seal kit from ebay. We were able to stop 99% of the leaks except for the one at the bottom which leaked through the wheep hole. Then we removed the pump again and my mechanic welded it shut. It didnt work and was still leaking. This is the best way.

Also I plan to keep those cardboard pieces there so if it ever starts leaking again this is a good indication.

Here is a link to the PS I bought.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BBB-INDUSTRIES-990-0288-Steering-Pump-Power-Steering-Pump-/370887984964?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item565aa58744&vxp=mtr

bigeo
10-18-2013, 10:44 PM
Just finished installing a rebuilt alternator and a rebuilt power steering pump (A1 Cardone from Rock Auto) last night. Noticed a small puddle of PS fluid under the car this morning and hoped it was residual from the draining/refill process. Alas, there was a puddle everywhere I parked today. When I got home I looked things over and couldn't see any sign of leakage where the pressure line and return hose attach. Used a mirror to check the flow control port and, sure enough, it was leaking like crazy. I guess that confirms the a "quality" of the Cardone rebuilds. I think they put all their energy into verbage describing what a great, thorough job they do and none into actually doing it.
I pulled the cap on the flow control port and found what appears to be a new, but damaged O-ring. When I tried to reassemble with a new o-ring, the cap wouldn't slide into the port very far. After several attempts, I noticed that the cap was deformed. Using the cap from my old PS pump with the new o-ring it slid into place with minimal resistance. It's all back together now, working correctly and not leaking so far.

AustralianBoyRacer
01-14-2015, 05:18 AM
Hi all, old thread I know but I was wondering if removing the power steering all together would be a (cheap) feasible option? A friend of mine's power steering belt snapped and the power steering was no longer functional, and he drove his car around like that for a couple weeks. I'm guessing a van could be too much of a bastard to steer without power steering? :)

timsrv
01-14-2015, 10:35 AM
Here's a quote from another thread:

Just keep in mind these vans have a weak bevel gear (ahead of the rack) & stress on this will be amplified greatly. That being said, I drove my van for almost 2 years without power steering & didn't have any issues. Tim

joegri
01-14-2015, 02:48 PM
i,ve been going through this topic cuz i detect some ps fluid on my alt and i sometimes get a christmas tree dash for 10 seconds or so then it goes away. soon as the weather gets a bit warmer i,ll investigate this further. however i want to say that in my mind i did,nt want to bypass the ps pump and just drive it as manual steering because of what i,ve read about the bevel gear being a weak point! for what it,s worth go ahead and repair the leaky pump. why take the chance of having to turn and not be able to and crash n burn cuz ya did,nt want to fix the pump. jus sayin.

mahleek87
01-14-2015, 05:06 PM
Joegri, I would atleast put a 2 pieces of cardboard under your PS pump to catch some of the fluid that is leaking. My alternator just died this week in my 89 van. When I bought this van from the owner 20,000 ago less then a year ago it had christmas lights at the startup. I mentioned to him the alternator is bad and he was like I just replaced it. Im sure he did because it looked pretty clean except for some oil spots. Poor guy probably didnt know the PS pump was leaking on it. So I put cardboard pieces and drove it 20K until it finally died last week. Probably because I did alot of driving recently to New York and wasnt changing out the wet pieces of cardboard frequent enough.

Now I ordered a PS pump, high pressure line and alternator will be installing this week.

joegri
01-14-2015, 08:17 PM
thanx mahllek for the heads up on the cardboard trik. lucky for me i,m one of those guys that has been squirreling away parts for many years. lemme see i have 3 ps pumps on the shelf and 1 brand new alt in the shed. and 1 new starter in the box. also 3 starters that are in need of the rebuild kit that i,ve seen posted here on ebay. man i wish i had a garage! tough to get motivated when its 20 degrees or so!hope she hangs in there till a better day. as a note to any new van owners... if you come across some parts that you think you might need down the road GRAB,EM! cuz someday you just might need,em.

Cadin
01-14-2015, 09:48 PM
I used ABS plastic to make a shield for mine, a laundry detergent bottle could work well too!

coronan
07-29-2015, 09:14 AM
Anyone got dimensions on those o-rings?

I work for a hydraulics shop and can probably get a high quality viton o-ring. And not stand in line at toyota for 30 min.

Also,
What is the purpose of the vacuum switching valve on the side of the PS pump???

Thanks!!!!

originalkwyjibo
07-29-2015, 10:36 AM
That valve raises the idle slightly to compensate for the additional pump drag on the engine when your cranking the wheel at idle. For example, while maneuvering into a parking space.

Wyze
08-19-2015, 06:01 PM
Hello!

As the title says my power steering pump in my 1986 Toyota van seems to be leaking into the alternator. I've replaced the alternator before and it wasn't too much of a hassle. I bought the van from a friend and he also has some issues with an o-ring on the power steering pump leaking. Just wanted to see if any of you folks had any insight on whether or not this is a common issue with these and if there is a good reliable fix.

Thanks,
T

highwind
08-19-2015, 08:47 PM
I had a leaky PS Pump and all I did was replace the "o - ring" and I havent had a problem since

brentlehr
08-22-2015, 01:29 PM
Yeah, this is a very common problem and one that after 5 years of ownership I've finally got squared away. Tim and everyone else here have been very helpful and there's tons on good stuff in past threads. Lot's of accumulated knowledge here.

Welcome to the forum.

You might want to read up on the alternator threads as well. I've been through a bunch of the cheap rebuilds before finally having an original rebuilt locally.

Nolo33
09-04-2015, 06:13 PM
Just bought my 86 cargo van and am finding this info useful. My alternator is bad and I noticed a bottle of power stearing fluid tucked away in the back. I'm glad you folks shared this info before I went and replaced the alternator. Thanks!

timsrv
09-04-2015, 10:44 PM
Also, from personal experience, the Denso rebuilds (actually rebuilt by Denso) will last around 100k miles (assuming you keep the PS fluid off of it). The random rebuilt ones (by other remanufacturing places) are hit and miss. Back before I discovered the Denso rebuilds I was going through alternators about every 5 - 10k miles. Tim

Nolo33
09-05-2015, 12:27 PM
Also, from personal experience, the Denso rebuilds (actually rebuilt by Denso) will last around 100k miles (assuming you keep the PS fluid off of it). The random rebuilt ones (by other remanufacturing places) are hit and miss. Back before I discovered the Denso rebuilds I was going through alternators about every 5 - 10k miles. Tim

Tim, I have found a few brands of Power Steering Pumps that have not been mentioned. As I said before, I am a new owner of a troubled 86 but I think you guys have saved the old Toyota Terror Van. Here is a photo of my leak. I was curious if anyone has used Maval PSP before and how well they stood up to a Denso.

timsrv
09-05-2015, 01:03 PM
Regarding Denso, I was referring to the alternator. I'm somewhat indifferent to the brand of PS pump you may purchase, although I believe you will probably get what you pay for. I purchased a cheap remanufactured PS pump once and although nice and pretty it leaked from day 1. When I took it apart the leaking o-rings crumbled as they were removed. I concluded the pump was merely cleaned and painted (not rebuilt). Since then I just reseal and use old pumps. That thread I linked to above shows the common leak spots and gives part numbers for o-rings, etc.

PS: The pressure hose on the side of the pump will usually seal up if it's made super tight (just don't round it off or break it). If that doesn't work, take it apart and replace the copper crush washer on the pump-to-hose adapter, then tighten the crap out of it :wnk:. Tim

Nolo33
09-05-2015, 01:10 PM
Yeah, I read through the threads and realized that my issues were the same as many others. I'm getting my van ready for a long haul to Alaska and really want to avoid any repairs possible on the way, thus just replacing the seals is kind of a scary thought being that I may be 400 miles from nowhere with issues. I was hoping someone had an idea of a sturdy PSP that is reliable and will endure what I intend on putting it through. I think I will replace the seals on the old one as you said and keep it as a spare. Most likely going to try out the Maval PSP and I will let you guys know how it works out.

Nolo33
09-05-2015, 01:14 PM
In response to the issue of directing any future leaks away from the alternator, it seems that a small drip pan made of sheet metal would do. My 86 seems to have enough room to place a home made pan under the pump. Not sure about other years..

brentlehr
09-05-2015, 01:31 PM
Regarding the long haul trip to Alaska... while I'm sure many will disagree or at least not recommend this, I put about 20k miles on my van with the power steering totally disconnected. It's a PITA while parking but will keep fluid off your alternator in a pinch. At the time we were depending on the van so much (~5k miles a month) that I only had time to do the basics to keep it on the road. No ill effects.

About the power steering pump. The only one I could find locally was from Autozone. I bought 0-rings for the externally visible connections from Toyota and used those in place of what came with it. So far so good. I saved the original to rebuild if there's any future trouble.

trestlehed
09-07-2015, 12:50 PM
In response to the issue of directing any future leaks away from the alternator, it seems that a small drip pan made of sheet metal would do. My 86 seems to have enough room to place a home made pan under the pump. Not sure about other years..

After I bought my van and started to address the many mechanical issues, my mechanic discovered an aluminum plate fixed above the alternator to shield it from the PS pump leak. He rebuilt the PS pump but decided that putting the shield back over it would just help bake the alternator. I think he called it a "heat multiplier". And we all know that the engine bay in these vans is already an Easy Bake Oven... So that being said, it's best to take Tim's advice and just fix the PS leak properly the 1st time instead of half-assing it and having to do it all over again, possibly several times.

teleman73
10-16-2015, 04:38 PM
Hi all, While I've had time I've been tracking down all of the little things that I've been too busy to fix on my van and while looking for the source of a very little Coolant leak I think I found the source of my power steering leak. Rather than leaking out of the pump as seems to be the more common problem mine is leaking out of the house that leaves the PS pump and heads toward the stearing mechanism. It seems to be leaking at the crimp on the metal hose where it turns to rubber and descends next to the main lower radiator hose. The collant hose is totally dry but the PS hose is drenched with fluid. This doesn't seem to be a typical rubber hose that I could buy but look more like a single unit and I would appreciate any insights on this hose and how hard it is to replace.

coronan
10-16-2015, 07:18 PM
I would remove the hose in question. Take it to a hydraulics shop and ask if they can copy it.

timsrv
10-16-2015, 11:05 PM
https://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/showthread.php?143-88-2WD-LE-Power-Steering-Pressure-Line-Fix

teleman73
10-17-2015, 09:05 AM
Thanks Tim, as always you have just the information that I seem to need.

cluna
12-15-2015, 12:36 PM
Hey so my pump is leaking and I'm gonna attempt to rebuild it but I don't have a toyota van people account and I signedup but account never got verified so I can't really view anything does anyone else have a write up on rebuilding it I searched and came up with nothing or maybe just take a screen shot from that website thanks !

timsrv
12-16-2015, 12:28 AM
Here's a PDF from the service manual that shows the process:

spacecruisers
09-27-2016, 11:03 PM
See attached pictures. is there a gasket or something that should be keeping this from leaking? not sure exactly how this fitting/coupling works but its leaking between that silver plate and the housing, appears to be specifically from that spot in the 3rd photo. recommendations/instructions on how to fix would be great :)

JDM VANMAN
09-28-2016, 02:50 PM
This is a common problem and with that said there's also few threads on the repairs....

Read this thread-

MOD EDIT — threads merged

And it'll take you on a journey of Tim's World of repairs and other links that are related.

Also remember to use the search feature at the top right and then you can add your comments to the existing thread or just read to obtain more knowledge...more knowledge...more knowledge!!!

Good luck and keep us posted:thmbup:

spacecruisers
09-28-2016, 03:56 PM
awesome, exactly what i was looking for! tim is a van wizard. I have a hard time finding things with the search function apparently...

i'll order a new seal and inspect for other leaks but hopefully its just this one. looks like a super easy fix!

thanks again! ill post to this thread again if i run into any other unique problems.

spacecruisers
10-13-2016, 02:13 AM
just wanted to update this and say it was the o-ring. pulled that off (it drained quite a bit more fluid than i expected so anyone reading this make sure you have a container of some sort to catch it all) and the o-ring was totally hardened and cracked in pieces when trying to take it off. new o-ring is in and it no more leaking:thmbup:

TVCamper
07-31-2018, 01:24 PM
To play it safe, you could go to Rock Auto (http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/catalog.php) and purchase a Power Steering Pump Seal Kit. EDELMANN Part # 8598 will work and it sells for about $20.

I have a leak coming from the bolt that leads to the pressure line (red arrow pointing to the leak in image). If I turn the steering wheel when stopped, I can see the PS fluid seep out of this joint. Do you know if I can fix this with the Edelmann kit? I read in another thread someone that fixed this problem but now I can't find it again :doh:. I'll keep looking.

timsrv
07-31-2018, 09:09 PM
There's an o-ring there that's supposed to seal that spot. It's likely hardened and flat/cracked. To get at it, simply unscrew that fitting, remove the old o-ring, and slide the new one onto the fitting and into the relieved area right behind the hex part. Just be careful when removing it though as there is a spring behind there. The spring shouldn't fly out or anything, but just be aware that it's there and don't let things fall out. If you're careful you can just put on the new o-ring, then screw it back in without upsetting the other parts in there. And as usual, when doing anything here, put plastic over your alternator before releasing the PS fluid/ATF. Tim

PS: The o-ring you need should be included in a PS pump repair kit, but if you wish to purchase separately it's Toyota part #90301-22001 (https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem/toyota~ring~o~for~pressure~port~union~90301-22001.html)

TVCamper
08-01-2018, 07:40 PM
Thanks, Tim! I already bought the Edelmann kit, so I'll plan to make the repairs ASAP, although $2.95 sounds a lot better than the $25 I spent! Oh well, I'll have the other o-rings and parts if she springs a leak somewhere else.

Will a lot of PS fluid come out when I open it up? (like, everything in the reservoir?) I haven't seen people talk about draining the fluid, so I guess this isn't something to worry about, but is it enough that I'll need to keep a drain pan underneath?

Also, I don't have a socket big enough to get these off and I'm afraid I'll strip them if I use my vise grips. I don't suppose you know the socket sizes offhand? It appears to be either 21/22 mm for the outer bolt and 26/27 mm for the inner one that sits against the pump body, but I'd rather only buy the sizes I need if possible. If not, I'll just spring and buy all four or invest in an actual pair of calipers to get a better measure.

timsrv
08-02-2018, 11:35 AM
It will leak some, but since it's the pressure side, it won't drain the reservoir. I'd expect it to lose a couple of ounces. Since the banjo bolt seals using copper crush washers, it will likely be pretty tight. Sorry, but I don't remember the exact size of the banjo bolt. Since the pressure fitting is sealed with an o-ring, these are usually not extremely tight. You will need to back it up though with an open-end wrench to prevent it from spinning while removing the banjo bolt. I remember this fitting size to be a 27 mm. Tim

TVCamper
08-03-2018, 03:55 PM
I just gave it a try and am having some trouble. It's kind of a mess when I open up this port, so I'd rather not try too many times before I ask for guidance again! First off, it seems like quite a bit leaks out of the port. The first time I did pulled the bolt and the pressure hose I covered the alternator with plastic and soaked up the ATF with paper towels, and ended up needing a lot of them. Neither seal looked bad, really, but the one between the pressure fitting and the pump had a small abrasion on the outermost surface, so I figured that could be the problem. Maybe stupidly, I didn't change the smaller O-ring, because it looked fine. I didn't see a spring in this part, but looked in the FSM and it looked like there isn't one at this port, and the others all have one (if I was reading it correctly).

I put everything back in and torqued it to the FSMs recommendation, topped off the reservoir and gave it a try, but now it appears to be leaking more than before, from the same spot.

The second time I took it off, I covered the alt w plastic but also rigged up a system so that the ATF would be funneled into an old peanut butter jar that I rigged to be sitting between the blades of the radiator fan:thmbup:. The jar was pretty much filled to the top!

It looks like something maybe has happened to the metal around that recessed area and I'm wondering if that could be the issue? That the O-ring can't make a seal because the PS fluid can still leak around the ring to get out? I'm attaching a picture of the area without the O-ring, and one with it sitting in the recessed area:

Any ideas if this could cause it? Or am I looking in the wrong place? Any thoughts on fixes, or would I need a new pump?

FYI to the future PS pump tinkerers:
The banjo bolt is 22mm and like Tim said the pressure fitting is 27mm.

timsrv
08-03-2018, 07:26 PM
Sorry to hear that. FYI o-rings need smooth and even sealing surfaces or they will leak. Scratches, dents, debris, or anything else on or in that seal surface will prevent the o-ring from seating properly. FYI, the o-ring should be put on the fitting, then the fitting should be threaded into the bore. It's always a good idea to have some grease on it too. Grease will help hold it in place and also help it slip into it's groove. You might be able to clean up that area and/or cheat with some Teflon tape, but if I saw a mark like that on my pump (on an o-ring surface), I'd start looking for another pump :doh: :bdmd: :swear:.

shindagger
08-14-2018, 11:18 PM
reviving this thread so i can save my new alternator. my PS pump is leaking from the part labeled "Refer to Fig. 17-08" in the image below.. i think this might be the vacuum switching valve coronan was asking about?? will post a picture tomorrow when the sun's out, but wondering if the seal kit is all i need.

this forum is great btw, cant thank you guys enough.

shindagger
08-15-2018, 11:16 AM
leaking from here:

https://i.imgur.com/ayVdTxL.jpg

the previous owner rigged up a pepsi can. now i know why.

swamptony
10-04-2018, 09:51 PM
Hey Shindagger - ever figure this out? I noticed mine appears to be leaking from the same spot. Just ordered a new seal kit and planned on removing and refurbishing my PS pump, but I'm curious if you found anything else to look for here.

Thanks!

shindagger
10-05-2018, 11:38 AM
i haven't messed with it yet. removing/installing the pump is kinda intimidating.. lemme know if the seal kit gets the job done, thanks.

RayVan
03-21-2020, 07:31 PM
The pump could be leaking from a few spots, but the most common spot is this easy to replace o-ring at the top of the pump (where the supply line goes in). It's just 2 screws and you're there. You could just go down to the local hardware store and match-up your garden variety o-ring, but you'd be taking a chance it may not be compatible with the PS fluid (which by the way is just Dextron ATF). I've actually used water faucet o-rings in my PS pump and so far they're holding :lol:. To play it safe, you could go to Rock Auto (http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/catalog.php) and purchase a Power Steering Pump Seal Kit. EDELMANN Part # 8598 will work and it sells for about $20. It comes with the correct o-ring along with the other PS pump seals. Here's a picture showing you the most common leak point. Good luck. Tim

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a23/timsrv/whatever/IMG_8786.jpg

PS: Be sure to put some plastic or something over your alternator before pulling that line.

tried using the faucet o rings as well but couldn’t get it fit. Just barely too big

lukehart
07-14-2020, 11:56 AM
I used ABS plastic to make a shield for mine, a laundry detergent bottle could work well too!
any pictures?

ericwz123
04-17-2021, 10:30 PM
Hey guys my pump is leaking at the red line (picture taken from tim) im assuming thats the a gasket. Does anyone know the part number. I have a PS seal kit but it doesn't have a gasket. Good news is it only leaks when driving. Would you guys recommend a stopleak or cutting my own gasket? thanks! [ATTACH]11080

originalkwyjibo
04-18-2021, 09:06 AM
The large o-ring in the kit goes there. Tim posted a PDF of the pump rebuild from the service manual earlier in this thread that explains how to disassemble and rebuild if you need it.

Dnice
02-06-2023, 12:20 PM
Hi Tim,
Digging into this specific leak (flow control port).
I pulled the cap and there was no O-ring on it.
All the ones in the suggested Edelman kit seem too thick to fit in the groove there. I tried some others from a universal kit.
Did you use a different O-ring? The factory one- 96711-19014?
Also there seems to be 2 grooves in the cap- Im assuming you put it in the one closer to the top? Any advice to get it in there and installed back in the port? It would seem to be a tight fit.
Thanks in advance!

I suppose it could leak from any of the seals, but the other common spot I've found is the o-ring that seals the flow control port on the engine side of the pump. It's too tight to access with the pump installed, so the entire thing will need to come off before you can change it. Since it's tight quarters here, it's even hard to verify a leak from this port with the pump installed. If the fluid is leaking down the engine side of the pump and then dripping on the alternator, it's a pretty safe bet that this is the spot it's leaking from. Once the pump is off you'll need a small set of snap-ring pliers and a small screwdriver. Slightly depress the flow control valve cap with the screwdriver (to relieve pressure against the snap-ring), then remove it using the snap ring pliers. The cap has a spring pushing against it and it's easy to lose parts if the spring launches the cap. The o-ring goes in the groove that runs the periphery of the cap. Here's an illustration. Tim

BTW, the o-ring on the suction port (previous post) is Toyota Part #96711-19013. The o-ring on the flow control port cap (this post) is part #96711-19014.

Here's a couple other power steering related threads:
https://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/showthread.php?214-Power-steering-system-noise
https://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/showthread.php?451-Power-steering-using-alot-of-fluid!

timsrv
02-06-2023, 03:59 PM
The spring seat (what I call the cap) is marked on the above diagram as part #44343. It should only have one groove, but if for some reason there are 2, then choose the one that seems the most appropriate??? The o-ring is marked on that diagram as #44343A (96711-19014). As for what I did when repairing mine??? that was over 10 years ago so I don't have a crystal clear recollection. I assume I most likely stole that o-ring from an Edelmann repair kit, then ordered a replacement from Toyota to make my kit complete again. Tim