PDA

View Full Version : Super charger belt slippage?

Tjsprevia
05-04-2015, 01:40 AM
Im going to replace the oil in the ol supercharger, it has 210k on it and I don't think it's ever been done ..

Can anyone explain to me how this supercharger works ? I understand how it produces air...
But when does previa tell it to turn on? Should the belt that drives it slip over the pully at idol ?
mine does! Seems like that is not right , I'm getting 24.6 mpg out of this van , so my guess is it's not working , but I can here a valve or something close in the air box when it kicks on ..

it is referred to as the supercharger

thanks for any info on the charger

tj

cvtroger
05-04-2015, 01:57 AM
I am only familiar with turbos, but when I bough the previa, I had to look at supercharger info.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/supercharger.htm

I just recently changed out my supercharger oil and according to the maint records I got when I bought the van, there wasn't any information on the supercharger every being touched.

Every since I got my previa, I planned to do it, but procrastinated and forgot about it. But last weekend I was taking apart my van and decided to finally do it. The oil smelt burnt.

I can't comment on the belt as mine is not slipping, but I can explain what I did for the oil change.

when you go underneath your van, and look at the supercharger, there is a drain bolt on the bottom, It is a 17mm. I think the most annoying part is getting a tiny hose, snaking it up to the dip stick opening and injecting (with syringe) fluid. It wasn't hard, but my initial hose wasn't small enough. I also did this in my underground parking garage, which is dimly lit.

https://youtu.be/i0wjomTduSw

Tjsprevia
05-04-2015, 10:01 AM
Thanks for the video! I've got a turkey baister to put the 130mlof oil , I bought the purple power 75-90 as I read that it's good in this previas s/c .

man that dip stick is hard to get at , I plan on pressure washing that area to avoid getting dirt in the open dipstick hole..

Tjsprevia
05-04-2015, 03:21 PM
Oh crap , never mind ! I just couldn't see the bugger spinning .. Seems to be fine .. Now for that oil change