PDA

View Full Version : 91-93 Previa condenser upgrade to 94-97 condenser?

ahweeuhl
03-24-2015, 01:47 AM
i'm curious of if this would work? I know when we have to update from r12 to r134 there is a drop in performance. Can changing it to the 94-97 help because it's a parallel flow design as opposed to serpentine. And if it does work, will it fit?

cvtroger
03-24-2015, 11:55 AM
from what I understand, they are different. I didn't really look into it, but my condenser (95 s/c previa) was different than the early years. I was saw one on craigslist for a earlier model, but they said it wont work with a newer year and if it is s/c.

ahweeuhl
03-24-2015, 10:14 PM
yea. It would be really interesting to see. Because if it's just a matter of hose placements then I think making a custom hose to extend/retract wouldn't be to hard. How I see it is that a condenser is a condenser.

cvtroger
03-25-2015, 06:25 PM
yea. It would be really interesting to see. Because if it's just a matter of hose placements then I think making a custom hose to extend/retract wouldn't be to hard. How I see it is that a condenser is a condenser.

It probably is, but I would look at the photos or diagrams to make sure.

Just like the 2nd row seats, there are a few different bolt patterns, so some stuff does not line up.

TheMAN
03-26-2015, 11:46 PM
the line fittings are different and at different places I'm pretty sure... best to go to a junk yard and compare there
there isn't a big loss in performance using all the stock components when converting to R134a... so long as you follow Toyota's conversion TSB, you'll be OK

what you can do to make some improvements is either install an electric fan in front of the condenser, or replace the fan clutch fluid with something thicker... that's talked about on the toyota truck forums