PDA

View Full Version : Oil drain plug and gasket

ToyotaVanNut
04-26-2014, 06:49 PM
Tim, do you know the part # for the oil pan plug? The threaded bolt that holds in the oil? And does anyone recommend a size for the washer? :)

timsrv
04-26-2014, 08:42 PM
You could go to Toyota to order, or you could go into ANY parts store and look for the little rack with the red HELP! sign. Doorman #090038 is the one that fits the van. It comes with the gasket and costs $2 or $3. The actual size of the thread is M12 X 1.25 X 12mm length. It's got a 14mm head. Tim

ToyotaVanNut
05-01-2014, 08:40 PM
Tim, thank you sincerely. For some reason when I went to Autozone, they told me it was the incorrect plug for the make. I told him I had to consult the Toyota man :LOL2: Any thoughts on this?

Also I have decided to go with your plan of just replacing the wire, but do you know what wire it is I need to get? Would I get this from Toyota.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart. I want to get this van up and running again :(

timsrv
05-02-2014, 01:20 AM
If they dispute the part, then remove the one that's there and take it in for a match-up. Even if you purchase the wrong one it's only like $3 (so no big loss). Or you could buy 2 of them (the one I said & the one they say) & return the one that doesn't match.

As for the wire, just get some stranded 16 gauge. Before going to a lot of trouble I'd test the sending unit by unplugging it. If that doesn't affect the gauge, then pull the cluster and identify the sender wire up there & cut it. If that allows the gauge to drop to cold, then you'll know the wire was shorted somewhere between the sender & the gauge head. Before routing the new wire, I'd hook it up temporarily & verify that fixes the issue. If it does, then I'd install it permanently. Good luck. Tim

MonTex
05-02-2014, 11:28 PM
The Toyota part number for the 12mm ID oil plug 'fiber + aluminum crush washers' is:

90430-12031

I bought a package of ten (10) of these on Ebay for just a few dollars. My local auto-part stores do not carry 'quality' fiber-type 12mm size crush washers. :dizzy:

ToyotaVanNut
05-05-2014, 01:27 AM
The Toyota part number for the 12mm ID oil plug 'fiber + aluminum crush washers' is:

90430-12031

I bought a package of ten (10) of these on Ebay for just a few dollars. My local auto-part stores do not carry 'quality' fiber-type 12mm size crush washers. :dizzy:

Thank you! But is this the part number for the washers?

ToyotaVanNut
02-18-2015, 08:25 PM
Hi everyone!

So, the oil pan is in and looking good! Except it is leaking from the drain plug -_- First I put it on with the old felt one but realized I should put on a new one. I tried putting on a brass gasket and tightened it real tight.

Does anyone have any tips? I'm so close to driving vanny! It's been like 4 months and I'm anxious now!

timsrv
02-18-2015, 09:15 PM
You should use the cardboard gasket that's supposed to go here. Brass is not a good substitute (it's too hard). The problem with hard gaskets is you'll need to tighten the plug too tight and this can result in stripped threads or a deformed sealing surface on the pan. The correct cardboard/paper gasket is available almost anywhere. When I change oil, if the old gasket stays on the pan, and still looks good, then I'll re-use it. If it comes off with the plug I'll usually replace. These things are a dime a dozen. Tim

ToyotaVanNut
02-23-2015, 04:47 AM
You should use the cardboard gasket that's supposed to go here. Brass is not a good substitute (it's too hard). The problem with hard gaskets is you'll need to tighten the plug too tight and this can result in stripped threads or a deformed sealing surface on the pan. The correct cardboard/paper gasket is available almost anywhere. When I change oil, if the old gasket stays on the pan, and still looks good, then I'll re-use it. If it comes off with the plug I'll usually replace. These things are a dime a dozen. Tim

Thanks a lot, Tim! I'm going to get one on as soon as possible. Question though: when you say cardboard, which do you mean? I've seen the sort of composite material ones, is that the one you mean, or is there a different even better type that is actually cardboard?

Thanks again!!

timsrv
02-23-2015, 05:02 AM
Yeah, composite is a good term. I usually get them from Toyota when I get filters, but pretty much all auto parts stores should have suitable aftermarket ones. Tim

ToyotaVanNut
02-26-2015, 05:14 AM
Yeah, composite is a good term. I usually get them from Toyota when I get filters, but pretty much all auto parts stores should have suitable aftermarket ones. Tim

You're the best as always, Tim!