PDA

View Full Version : Removing Intake Manifold

VanToy1
10-15-2014, 03:15 PM
I'm a newbe here; thanks to all of you for such a great resource! My '86 2wd has several issues ...one of which is a cracked exhaust manifold and I'm in the process of extracting one at a salvage yard. I am down to the intake manifold and everything is unbolted but I can't free it up/pull it off. I worked it away from the block about 1/8" after quite a struggle...seems really tight on the guide pins? Any suggestions? I'll go back with more pry bars. Basically I'm practicing on this one so I don't destroy mine when I remove it...did not want to f*#k up the gasket mating surface. Is this a commonplace struggle or an unusual occurrence. Sorry if this info is in another thread...I couldn't find anything. Thanks, Ed

timsrv
10-15-2014, 08:17 PM
On the under side of the intake manifold there are 2 channels. One between the chambers #1 & #2 & the other between chambers #3 & #4. Anyhow these channels are like tunnels & just big enough to fit a socket into. With the correct length extension(s) you can get those two nuts off pretty easily. Here's a picture for reference:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a23/timsrv/TVT%20pics/Engine/IMG_2133.jpg

spacecruisers
04-24-2017, 07:12 PM
I'm in the process of removing the intake manifold myself, any tips on doing it would be appreciated. I wasn't able to find any write ups on this job so I'm working a bit blindly (or so it feels)

ill snap some photos along the way and do a write up once I get it figured out .

timsrv
04-25-2017, 12:59 AM
Although not 100% necessary, I've found that cutting an access hole near the back of the engine helps make the job much more manageable. For more information on where/how to cut, then patch, check out this thread: http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/showthread.php?213-The-hose-of-death-thread

spacecruisers
04-29-2017, 12:59 PM
Don't currently have any tools to cut with, is there another way to do it? I've removed all the visible bolts that I can see but something's still holding it on.

timsrv
04-29-2017, 02:08 PM
The metal EGR tube needs to be removed. It goes from the intake to the exhaust and can be accessed under the van.......did you get that? There's also some metal piping on the back side that's held on with 10 mm bolts. That can stay if the "hose of death" (both upper and lower) are removed (or cut). There's a couple of small vacuum hoses back there too (those should slide off). Without the access hole, the "HOD" can be accessed from the top if you have the engine access covers and the valve cover off.........but it's a little tricky.

Inexpensive metal cutting tools (of dubious quality) can be purchased from harbor freight or similar cheapo tool stores. They might not be the best, but are usually adequate to get the job done. Tim

spacecruisers
04-29-2017, 08:12 PM
Thanks tim, the metal piping was what was getting me. also had to disconnect one coolant HOD that I was able to barely reach from underneath, and one 12mm mounting bolt on the upper rear corner of the intake. Finally got it off! Took me probably 6 hours at least but now hopefully i can make a decent write up on it :dance2: