PDA

View Full Version : New fuel filter, EFI fuse blown?

Megadysart
09-29-2014, 11:06 PM
Hey guys, sorry if there's a thread on this already, but I couldn't find what I was looking for. I just just recently changed the fuel filter on my '86 2wd, and when I was done the van wouldn't start. I checked spark and it was good, so I tried jumping the fuel pump test connector and nothing happened. The pump runs for a second when the key is turned on, but the test connector wouldn't make it run. Checked and the EFI fuse is blown. Replaced it and tried cranking again - blown again! Anybody have any insight on where I might have caused a short? Any wires around the fuel filter I should check? Just asking here first before I go ripping the dash apart to test the harness. Interior parts are NLA :pissed:

Thanks in advance!! PS, anybody else bend the heck out of that fuel filter bracket?

timsrv
09-30-2014, 01:24 AM
I can't think of anything in the filter area that if damaged could cause the EFI fuse to blow. It's a pretty strange coincidence though, and makes sense it has something to do with you servicing the van. If this happened to me I would retrace all my steps looking for anything possible I may have caused. If that doesn't turn up anything, I would start troubleshooting the circuit by disconnecting parts of the circuit (one by one) until the short goes away. I'd put a load across the fuse conductors of about 5 amps (perhaps a headlight or a fan motor). You'll know you're onto something when the load turns off. Tim

FYI, OEM Toyota filters come with that bracket, so if it's wasted, get a Toyota filter.