PDA

View Full Version : Seats: Will 84's fit an 87?

Anthony
08-14-2014, 12:44 AM
Not sure if this is the place to post this.

I was wondering if 1984 Driver & passenger seats will fit my new 1987 4x4 toyota van?

I saw them at a junk yard and I didn't even think about it until now. I hope they are still there this Saturday.
Fingers crossed
:bluevan:

ninz30
08-14-2014, 12:56 PM
according to some members the 84-85 is different from the doors forward... but im not 100%. I recently acquired an 84 for possible parts and I plan on figuring out what fits and what doesnt.

llamavan
08-14-2014, 04:20 PM
I can't say for sure as I haven't done exactly that, but I have put the 1st generation "hood" on a 2nd gen van (because I like the latches!) and the driver's side seat fit just fine. I strongly suspect the passenger side will also swap over.

Remember that with the passenger side seats, the 1st gen vans DO NOT adjust fore and aft, so you'd be giving up that ... unless you can swap over the lower sliding/adjusting mechanism, which I seem to recall can be done, but I'm not certain because I can't recall all the details. I did switch out a badly rusted mechanism for a working one, but I can't remember which van I did that on, let alone where I got the "new" seat mechanism from (other than the mechanism would have to have been 2nd gen).

Gwen

PS — I'm moving this to the "Toyota Vans" technical subforum because it isn't an "any automobile" sort of question.

Burntboot
08-17-2014, 10:19 AM
Not sure on 1st gen to 2nd but seat bottoms are swappable.
I have an LE seatback on a DLX base (only because the LE seat bottom pan was rusted out)
There is a gap between the bottom of the seat back and the bottom cushion because the DLX doesn't have as much padding.

Anthony
08-22-2014, 01:23 AM
Thanks guys!
I went back to the 1984 Toyota van at the Pick and Pull here in Portland, OR. and the seats were trashed under the seat covers.
They look like they would fit. The Latch is different on the 84. Thanks for moving the post & Thanks for the help too!!!
:bluevan::)>::bluevan: