PDA

View Full Version : Frequent starting problem after sitting for a few days

rcf_1989
06-24-2014, 08:23 PM
Hi, I have a 1989 2WD cargo van. It runs great. But, it has developed a consistent starting problem. If it sits on the driveway for 2 to 3 days, it does not start. Cranks fine and will always start immediately if I give it a 1 sec shot of starter fluid in the air intake hose that bolts to the air cleaner body. From then on, it will run normally and restart just fine until I let it sit for a few days again.

Obviously I suspect something in the fuel delivery. I don't know anything about fuel injection, but I assume there's a system for cold starts and I'm guessing it may be the culprit. What are the diagnostic tests?

Thanks in advance for any help.

PS: I have a second question. I don't drive this van in the rain because it has so little weight in the rear and the rear wheels can just spin when the pavement is even a little wet. I haven't figured out a way to get some weight over the rear wheels that won't slide all over. Anyone have a good solution? Also, any recommendations for tires that might mitigate the problem?

ninz30
06-25-2014, 07:27 PM
Based on your explanation, it may not be your ignition system. So I think we can rule that out. I think you are right to suspect the efi system. I would check the air intake for vacuum leaks, fuel pressure in fuel lines, air flow meter, and the air valve.

rcf_1989
06-29-2014, 01:00 PM
Based on your explanation, it may not be your ignition system. So I think we can rule that out. I think you are right to suspect the efi system. I would check the air intake for vacuum leaks, fuel pressure in fuel lines, air flow meter, and the air valve.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I had a chance to ask a mechanic friend of mine. He said it sounded like a regular flooding and suggested it was likely that an injector was leaking fuel into the cylinder. When I was trying to start normally, the system, working properly, would inject some fuel to start, which leads to wet plugs and no ignition. He told me to just floor the accelerator, which puts the system into a "wide-open throttle" and shuts off the injectors. I tried it after having let the van sit for a few days. It didn't immediately start like a normal start, but it did roar into life in just a few seconds. So, I think he was likely right. He also said there might be some carbon build up and suggested adding some techron and "railing it" as much as possible over that tank of gas.

So, assuming this is just a flooding issue, is this a common problem with these vans? Besides a leaky injector, any other possible causes?

The van has only 37k miles (obviously it spends a lot of time sitting) and runs like a champ. Completely smooth-running engine, quick acceleration, etc. Is this consistent with a possibly leaking injector?

And, since the van sits for weeks or months at a time, is there anything special I should do? I had been leaving it with a full tank everytime, but after reading a few posts about ethanol, I'm not so sure that's right -- all the gas around here seems to have no less than 10% ethanol, but it changes seasonally; 95% of the van driving is in summer since the traction is so poor on wet pavement. (any suggestions on grippy tires?).

ninz30
06-29-2014, 05:32 PM
To really be sure I would have your mechanic friend check the fuel pressure via the fuel rail... If an injector is leaking (which they should never do), the pressure test will reveal it. I wouldn't say it's a common issue, because from what I've heard these injectors are nearly bullet proof.

If if the van is going to sit for an extended period of time ... add fuel stabilizer and start the engine at least once every two weeks and allow it to reach operating temperature.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I had a chance to ask a mechanic friend of mine. He said it sounded like a regular flooding and suggested it was likely that an injector was leaking fuel into the cylinder. When I was trying to start normally, the system, working properly, would inject some fuel to start, which leads to wet plugs and no ignition. He told me to just floor the accelerator, which puts the system into a "wide-open throttle" and shuts off the injectors. I tried it after having let the van sit for a few days. It didn't immediately start like a normal start, but it did roar into life in just a few seconds. So, I think he was likely right. He also said there might be some carbon build up and suggested adding some techron and "railing it" as much as possible over that tank of gas.

So, assuming this is just a flooding issue, is this a common problem with these vans? Besides a leaky injector, any other possible causes?

The van has only 37k miles (obviously it spends a lot of time sitting) and runs like a champ. Completely smooth-running engine, quick acceleration, etc. Is this consistent with a possibly leaking injector?

And, since the van sits for weeks or months at a time, is there anything special I should do? I had been leaving it with a full tank everytime, but after reading a few posts about ethanol, I'm not so sure that's right -- all the gas around here seems to have no less than 10% ethanol, but it changes seasonally; 95% of the van driving is in summer since the traction is so poor on wet pavement. (any suggestions on grippy tires?).