PDA

View Full Version : hi all I have previa problems!!

martw
03-29-2014, 12:02 PM
hi all i have just bought a previa 95 and seems to have white smoke on start up then fades off then comes back in pulses (engine idles good) and doesnt use any coolant thinking it may be injectors or seals..... also there is a strong smell of petrol on the drivers side just behind the drivers door (uk model so right hand drive fuel filler is on the left as well as slidding door). this is just 2 of many problems but these are worrying me the most any help/advice would be verry well recived thanks in advance..

TheMAN
04-01-2014, 03:04 AM
if you smell petrol near the sliding door, it's possible that there is a fuel leak at the filler neck... you should check that
as for the puffs of smoke, it's possible you may have bad piston rings or bad valve seals... but before you jump to that conclusion, check and make sure the PCV valve is working... the only way to get to it is to remove the driver seat and remove the floor panel... the factory PCV valve is metal but it will still get clogged with carbon over the years, so replace it and see if that will fix it... the rubber hose that connects to it might be perished too, so prepare to replace it... while you are there though, you have the opportunity to replace the spark plugs, HT leads, and perform a compression test... a compression test is an important first step in diagnosis, and after which, you should attempt a leak down test if you see low compression in one of the cylinders

martw
04-02-2014, 04:28 PM
Ok thanks for the reply I have done oil and filter change spark plugs and ht leads, rocker cover gasket and the oil seals around the plug tubes, dizzy o ring and cap and rotor arm.... thanks i didn't think about the pcv valve and i think your idea of a compression test is the way forward...are the injectors often Problematic the van has done 140k miles should I be planning to change the seals on the injectors?

TheMAN
04-02-2014, 11:33 PM
not that I am aware of