PDA

View Full Version : Breaking-in a Rebuilt Engine

kestrel
12-12-2013, 09:50 PM
Hey folks! I'm getting my '89 Toyota Van 4x4 back next week with her engine rebuilt. I've read lots of differing opinions on the correct way to break in a new/rebuild engine, but I want to know what all you TV experts out there think. I want to do it right and I'm no mechanic!

Thanks in advance,
Kestrel

timsrv
12-12-2013, 11:43 PM
During the rebuild lots of lint and other junk can get into the engine. In addition, new parts can have burs, sharp edges, and/or high spots that wear quickly. That means the oil & filter can get dirty fast. Due to this, I recommend an oil change after the 1st 50 -100 miles. As for anything else, maybe change it again in 500 - 1,000 miles. Then @ 3,000 followed by regular change intervals (short trips/city driving, every 3k miles, longer trips/highway driving, every 5,000 miles). Some people say to drive easy and keep RPMs down during break-in. I say to just put it to work and use as you would normally (no special care). I can't think of any reason why not to, and have never babied new engines. Tim

PS: Check the pavement every day for coolant and/or oil spots for the 1st week or so & keep an eye on the temperature gauge. On mine I rigged up a bright LED and a piezo buzzer on my dash hooked to a 220 deg temperature switch (for engine coolant). I also tied in a 5 psi oil pressure switch to the same LED/buzzer. If engine coolant exceeds 220 deg F or if my oil pressure drops below 5 psi, I get an annoying buzzer sound along with a bright LED illuminating from my gauge cluster. Tim