PDA

View Full Version : Brake Light on dash coming on / staying on

Vango303
10-15-2010, 04:29 AM
The brake light comes on when accelerating at speeds from about 5mph to around 30-40mph, but it will go off when I take my foot off of the accelerator or am traveling at a relatively constant speed. The brake light will also come on for a few seconds if I am driving uphill.

timsrv
10-15-2010, 11:43 AM
Okay, your brake light issue is most likely the float sensor inside the brake fluid reservoir (driver's side end of the dash) telling you to put more brake fluid in :LOL2:. Try that and report back.

Vango303
10-15-2010, 01:11 PM
Well sure enough the addition of brake fluid has taken care of the intermittent brake light on the dash. The brake fluid level looked like it was nearly full from the outside, but obviously it was not full enough. Thank you Tim. I am off to have the van inspected, get an emission test, and get my proper license plate ( my temp expires today!!!). I may have to go on a joy ride afterward, but I will attempt post photos of what I did in the next day or so. Again, thank you.

timsrv
10-15-2010, 01:20 PM
Glad we could help. I'll cross my fingers for you on the emissions test. Tim

EdCrono
07-01-2013, 06:20 PM
Hi. What do you think could be the cause of the brake light on on the dash board? I just effectibly followed your fuse thread for a christmas light problem, but the brake and engine light stayed on. I have been trying to get a diagnostic code but i haven't been able. How about the brake light? Thanks again! :wave1:

llamavan
07-01-2013, 10:59 PM
I just played "Spelling Police" with your post so that it will turn up in searches for "brake light". :yes:

The primary functions of the brake light are to indicate that (1) the parking brake / emergency brake / e-brake is engaged (even slightly) or (2) the brake fluid is low. Have you checked these?

Gwen

EdCrono
07-01-2013, 11:30 PM
I just played "Spelling Police" with your post so that it will turn up in searches for "brake light". :yes:

The primary functions of the brake light are to indicate that (1) the parking brake / emergency brake / e-brake is engaged (even slightly) or (2) the brake fluid is low. Have you checked these?

Gwen

LOL! :roflmao: Sorry, I'm gonna have to blame it on this heat wave we're having in Southern California, I spend a long time in the junkyard yesterday under the sun and woke up today feeling like a roach that just got sprayed :lol:

I hadn't considered checking the brake fluid lavel. Once again great advise. You guys are awesome! :dance2:

Jbbishop2
06-01-2014, 08:21 PM
Reconnecting the wires to the terminals on the alternator (as part of the power steering pump seal kit installation and cleaning the alternator) turned off the Christmas lights, but it turns out the brake warning light stays on. The intensity drops a little bit when the parking brake is released so it appears that switch works. The level in the brake fluid reservoir is about halfway between the min and max. Any suggestion as to where I should look next?

Thanks,
John

timsrv
06-01-2014, 10:24 PM
The brake warning light gets power all the time. The only thing keeping it from coming on is a lack of ground. Toyota intended only 2 things provide a path to ground. 1. The emergency brake switch. 2. The brake reservoir float switch. I agree with your speculation on the emergency brake, so this leaves the float in the reservoir. Just for kicks I'd recommend filling it to the full line, then tapping on it a bit. If the float is stuck this may be enough to dislodge it. If this doesn't work you should try disconnecting it and/or the emergency brake switch. If the light is still on with the float & the emergency brake switch disconnected, then there's a short in it's trigger wire somewhere between the light and the float, or maybe the light and the emergency brake switch. Since you can see the light brighten when the e-brake is pulled, then I'd start by checking the float switch side of things. Good luck. Tim

thetoaster
06-01-2014, 10:25 PM
Not really a suggestion from me but more of a reassurance. Mines been on for over 160,000 miles. When I first got my van I looked into it. Checked all visible connections. Full brake job all the way around not long after. Still, that light was on. The parking brake works and releases fully. All break lights work as they should. At that point I just learned to deal with it. It's just become the normal at this point. I'm curious to see how simple the fix might be though

EDIT: LOL cross posted with Tim. If it turns out to be a stuck float in the reservoir well: :wall:

Thanks TIm.

Jbbishop2
06-02-2014, 12:29 AM
Well, just for kicks, as Tim says (because that's apparently the kind of folks we are here), I went out and tried filling the reservoir to Max, and even took off the upper dash/cluster surround to unscrew the reservoir from its support to give it a better shake and tap, and reached in to touch the float with a screwdriver. It floats, and is free to travel up and down, and with the high level it's certainly up against the upper limit, but no difference in the light. I'll have to go further along the circuit and will try disconnecting the park brake switch.

Still possible the sensor isn't working the way it should, too. If it's like the coolant reservoir level sensor it closes the switch when the magnet in the float gets close enough to the base. Maybe that switch is stuck closed.

Thanks for the logical explanation and plan, Tim.

Jbbishop2
06-08-2014, 05:53 PM
Well...I think I goofed. I was checking it with the key on but the motor off. The brake light goes out when the motor's running, comes on with the parking brake lever, and also comes on when I reach in and press the float down in the reservoir.

Sorry for the fire drill, and thanks again for sharing your experience and advice.

timsrv
06-09-2014, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the update. I should have mentioned starting the engine :wnk:.

BetsyBrown
01-19-2018, 05:49 PM
is the parking brake switch just under the parking brake lever? im checking the manual but the diagram is not very specific on location.

Ive got a stuck light as well, float is fine, brake fluid levels are fine... brake works fine so trying to track it down

originalkwyjibo
01-19-2018, 06:56 PM
is the parking brake switch just under the parking brake lever? im checking the manual but the diagram is not very specific on location.

Ive got a stuck light as well, float is fine, brake fluid levels are fine... brake works fine so trying to track it down
Yes. Small push button switch with one wire attached.

Dr.Roob
01-20-2019, 09:22 PM
GREAT! My dash brake light is staying on. I thought it may have been a stuck brake shoe, but no indication of that, so I'll try the fluid reservoir.
Thanks to the spelling officer (so I could find this), and thanks to everyone that posted such useful info.
Will post the result.
Cheers - doc

Dr.Roob
01-21-2019, 09:38 PM
Top Tip! filled up the fluid and no more brake light staying on.
Thanks - doc

djshimon
01-21-2019, 11:15 PM
Hopefully you're not losing fluid somewhere Dr.Roob-check for leaks and/or carry fluid with you in case you run low and need brakes.

Dr.Roob
02-04-2019, 12:55 AM
Yep. Checked that, DJS. It was only just below the minimum level. No sign of leakage atthe wheels or master cyl.
:thmbup:

timsrv
02-04-2019, 12:28 PM
Just an FYI general bit of information to those interested, and most of you probably already know...........It's normal for brake fluid to drop during the life of your brake pads/shoes. It does not necessarily indicate a leak (although not a bad idea to inspect/check for that from time to time).

As your brakes wear, the caliper & wheel cylinder pistons become more extended (to compensate for brake pad/shoe wear). This means more brake fluid remaining in the calipers/wheel cylinders. You should expect to add brake fluid at least once or twice during the life of your brake pads/shoes. Tim

Suzu
09-10-2019, 04:54 PM
The BRAKE warning light is staying on most of the time. Nothing wrong with the brakes, so I don't know what that's about!

Flecker
09-10-2019, 05:56 PM
Add brake fluid to the brake fluid reservoir.

It's to the left of the steering wheel, can see it when the door is open.

Suzu
09-10-2019, 06:27 PM
That was the first thing I checked.

Flecker
09-10-2019, 06:33 PM
And it was full? The fluid reservoir gets pretty dirty over time, becomes hard to tell if it's low or not. Best way is to pull the little strainer out and eyeball it. It's either that or your parking brake is stuck one notch up.

Suzu
09-10-2019, 07:19 PM
Yes, it was full. But I will check it again. The parking brake seems to go down all the way.

originalkwyjibo
09-10-2019, 11:40 PM
The wire to the parking brake switch could be pinched and grounding as well.

Suzu
09-11-2019, 12:51 AM
OIC. Well the truth is I am dumb enough about this stuff to have not even suspected that the parking brake had a switch. I'll have to look that one up. Thanks!

originalkwyjibo
09-11-2019, 01:16 AM
There is a small push button switch under the brake lever with a single wire going to it. If you take the center console off you'll see it. I had one that was stuck from something that got spilled down around the brake lever. When you raise the brake lever the button on the switch should spring up and the switch closes completing the circuit to ground and illuminating the dash light. This is also done by the float in the brake fluid reservoir. If either of these wires get pinched and ground then the light would stay on. Sometimes the floats will stick down too.

Suzu
09-11-2019, 01:21 AM
So good to know this info! Thanks!

My first thought when I read "push button switch" was the button on the end of the brake handle. But obviously that's not what you're referring to if I have to remove the center console in order to see this button/switch thing.