PDA

View Full Version : Alternator crossover with other models

cusco-awd
06-13-2013, 06:33 PM
I am curious if any other 80's Toyotas used a alternator that would be useable on a van. I was at the yard and one on a Camary looked similar.

timsrv
06-14-2013, 12:30 PM
There are lots of Denso alternator applications from the 80's & early 90's that look the same & are internally the same. The difference is in the mounts. The difference can be quite subtle as some are just slightly off. That being said, I do believe this mount configuration was used in other applications.........I just don't know what those are :dizzy:. Tim

cusco-awd
06-19-2013, 02:18 PM
There are lots of Denso alternator applications from the 80's & early 90's that look the same & are internally the same. The difference is in the mounts. The difference can be quite subtle as some are just slightly off. That being said, I do believe this mount configuration was used in other applications.........I just don't know what those are :dizzy:. Tim

Thanks. I was curious if I could grab a OE Denso and swap the guts while adding new brushes. But with the price people want for them around here, I might be better off just getting a denso rebuilt one.

timsrv
06-19-2013, 02:37 PM
If you buy the entire alternator at the salvage yard they will want $20+ for it. Most places will also want a core charge. If you take it apart inside the yard, then you can take only the parts you need for much less. Of course there are those that say "anything you can fit in your pocket is free" :no:. I believe however that honesty is the best policy and present what I got and pay. Typically they will charge me around $5 for a diode assy &/or around the same for a regulator. If I'm purchasing other bigger/more expensive parts they will often let me take the small stuff for free. As for the brushes, unless you find an exceptional set, I recommend purchasing new from Toyota for around $15. Tim

SEANBOB
11-24-2015, 08:35 AM
Here is a way to check for parts fitiment on other vehicles... go to autozone.com and register as a member. (no i'm not advertising...lol). look up the part you need for your roflroflroflroflroflin toyota van...then check vehicle fitiment. It will list all of the other vehicles the part fits...this has helped me find certain parts that i would never had found in a wrecking yard on many occasion. hope it helps.