PDA

View Full Version : Using a FED Spec PCM in a California Spec Van

JPERL
04-26-2013, 02:07 PM
The only difference I can see between californa and fed spec PCM is that california monitors an additional sensor for EGR Gas Temp and so if I used a fed spec pcm in a californa vehicle it should only render the egr temp sensor useless.

Two of my vans are cal spec and one is fed spec. The fed spec passes cal emissions no problem and so essentially my cal spec van with a fed PCM should pass smog if the fed spec does. I cannot find any other parts that come into play with regards to a certain spec for cal where emissions is concerned 02 sensors are the same I see

forum thoughts????

timsrv
04-26-2013, 09:32 PM
I haven't done this but your reasoning is sound. I went the other way when I installed a CA spec ECU in my son's Corolla. I fooled the ECU by putting a resistor between the ECU terminals that monitor the EGR temperature. Tim

timsrv
04-26-2013, 10:34 PM
One thing worth noting is position of terminals on the ECUs. I don't think there were any changes on the different spec van ECUs, but on my son's 94 corolla almost every terminal was in a different pin spot. All the harness connectors were the same, but I had to extract and relocate almost every terminal in order for his ECU to function correctly. My 88 & 89 van service manuals are still packed away so I have no way to check this. If you have a factory service manual go to the FI section and compare pin positions of the Fed spec & CA spec ECUs. Tim

JPERL
04-27-2013, 12:13 AM
the manuals do not show different ecu's for California and fed. On the ecu terminal diagram there is a terminal marked with an asterisk that says California only the terminal is marked THG. THG goes to the EGR temp sensor circuit. The terminals for the EGR Temp sensor are THG and E2. I think E2 is a common ground. The only California specific code is 71 which is tied to the egr temp sensor. So basically a fed ecu just won't see the egr temp sensor in theory

timsrv
04-27-2013, 02:58 AM
Okay, If they only show one configuration with a footnote then that's good. My son's Corolla showed 2 different configurations in the manual. At least that provided me with a road map to reconfigure...........but it surprised me they would mix things up like that. You are correct. It will now be a Fed spec van with an extra non-used sensor. Tim

JPERL
05-02-2013, 09:22 PM
It works!:dance2:on 1989 you can use a federal/Canada ecu in a California spec van. it just won't monitor egr gas temp