PDA

View Full Version : Proper Temperature Gauge Behavior

foreverly
12-10-2012, 10:07 AM
Hello TvT -

I've been busy working on my new 1987 2WD, w/ 187K. Reading these forums is extremely helpful.

From what I've been able to gather the temp gauge should hover around 3/8ths - is this correct?

My temp gauge is slow to move from its resting position below the line. Eventually it will raise to around 1/8 or 1/4 but it really takes some time.

I'm in Texas so that may be a good thing when the 110 deg summer comes, but a little heat in the cabin would be nice right now with the cold front.

I suspect a T-stat problem - the gauge doesn't seem jumpy at all so I don't think there is a loose connection or anything like that. But it would be helpful to know what the normal behavior of the gauge should be.

Thanks

timsrv
12-10-2012, 11:25 AM
It sounds like your T-stat may be stuck in the open position. Start by replacing the Thermostat. My guess is that will solve the issue and you will be able to get some heat. Here's a thread that should help out: http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/showthread.php?21-Replacing-your-van-s-thermostat

foreverly
12-10-2012, 12:22 PM
Thank you for the link for T-Stat replacement. The hoses probably need to be done anyway.

Is there a preferred Toyota OEM parts website? I have a wiper nozzle to replace to as well.

timsrv
12-10-2012, 02:36 PM
Look for one close to you (quicker shipping times). For the Pacific NorthWest Titus Will Toyota (www.1stToyotaParts.com) is pretty good. Tim

Reducto
12-11-2012, 01:47 AM
I went into my local Toyota dealer and they had a t-stat in stock, so you might try that before going mail order. Make sure it comes with the gasket.

After putting in a new t-stat along with new hoses and fluid, my gauge goes fairly quickly to just a tad left of dead center and stays there. Below freezing, above 100 going up a mountain pass,or idling in traffic it has yet to vary more than a few degrees.